small VHF antenna for pocket device

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvin55

Anybody has an idea how to make or buy a MURS antenna,151-155 MHz, for a small pocket transceiver that should transmit up to 1W. The stub antennas are pretty bad when held close to the body. Maybe some kind of patch or ferrite antenna will do better.

rvin55

cannot have dangling wires. Has to be a small cellphone size object with nothing attached, that you put in your pocket.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I don't like to use absolutes as in 'all', but close to the body will just about put any antenna in the poor house. Longer antenna are less affected mostly for what sticks up above the shoulder.

I keep a stubby on my dual band HT which works well close in and swap out to a longer antenna when needed. Stubby antennas have a place along with limitations.

A technique that takes advantage of this is radio 'fox hunting'. Hold the radio close to the body and turn a circle. Listen for the peak or null in the received signal and move as needed.

snip...

The stub antennas are pretty bad when held close to the body. Maybe some kind of patch or ferrite antenna will do better.

rvin55

In my application a person with no radio background will put the device in a pocket. It has to achieve reasonably good range no matter which pocket or the person's posture. I wonder if this is possible.

nd5y

I don't know how much range you are expecting but at VHF any kind of small antenna up against a human body will not work well. You can't change the laws of phsics.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It don't matter what you do 1 watt is only going to do so much no matter what antenna you put on it.........

Status
Not open for further replies.