Smart Phone Listening and alerts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewmik

OK the way this all got started was on a Scanning FB page I go to people are always posting alerts about everything from Fires, Storms and Civil Unrest to Downed Aircraft, and Rail Road situations. The problem is that by the time people get home or look at FB it's all over.
So I went looking for a app that could be used to send and receive alerts to Smart Phones. Similar to SMS but with out having to put a ton of phone numbers of people that really don't know each other in the contacts. This all keep me up tell 4 am this morning
I ran into an issue where app developers don't want to make apps until they have an idea of user numbers as that is how they get paid for there apps.
What I did come up with is a social app called "Palringo Group Messenger". Basically its like a library of chat rooms but I can keep the one I am setting up invisible so only people looking for it can find it, Also the ability for the users to keep invisible is an option.
The app works similar to SMS except you don't have to give it your phone number. Just be a member of the group. When someone posts on it, your phone can be set to sound a notification and pop up with the message.
Palringo dose require a user name, password and email, but email is just for confirmation. No other users or spam bots can get to it.
The app is also available for your computer if you want it to, That works similar to the other IM's. I loaded it simply to get a feel for it. It may be easier for some to post from their computers rather then their Smart Phones.
The apps comes in 2 forms. Paid and free. I am linking you to the free version but the paid is available in the app and it offers the choice. The Free apps do have advertisement at the bottom or top. The apps have basic permissions similar to most other apps.
Right now it is a semi private group so people can find it easier. While it also can be set to a privet group I won't do that until we have a user base and then only if there are "outsiders" posting random messages.
I also don't have a way for users to limit the alerts for just certain states or situations. You will get all the alerts sent. Maybe when and if there is an app developed that can be changed.

When you post an alert please include the Situation, State, County, City and Agency that you are listening to. Also You can post updates if you wish but if you have a question or comment to another user please do that as a private chat. Please do not chat because any an all people using it will receive it and get annoyed with conversations. This is not a social room. It is meant to get a system to alert others around the US and Canada about scanner activity.

The app and instructions. http://www.palringo.com/​en/gb/download/
Download the app to your phone. It will ask for your email and to create a user name and password, This is used both on the phone and on the web site to access your info.
Open the app and go to the top right that looks like to people. Press menu. Press Join Group, put in Scan Alerts, and select Join Group
You can also find the app on your phones app store, simply search Palringo

There are also Scanner apps that link to Radio Reference for smart phones. I use Scanner Radio but they are all similar in content, I just like the way SR is set up. You don't need the scanner app to use Palringo.
If we find this useful and get a user base I can probably get a app developer to makean app that we can get input on as to what users would like to have available. However if this works to our satisfaction then I see no need for having an app made.

dewmik

One other thing. I tried and tried and tried to come up with a way that people with out Smart Phones could get this as a text. I could not for the life of me find a way. If anyone has a solution to that please say so.

SquierStrat

My opinion: if you wanna know what's going on on the scanner, buy and carry a scanner. I think the live feed is ruining the hobby in a way. I hosted my towns feed for about a year until I realized I wasn't hearing the neat and cool things I used to. I discontinued the feed and those neat.and.cool things are starting to come back.

dewmik

I do have a scanner but of course it is local. The thought is to be able to get information of things nation wide that would be out of my scanner range.
I first got the thought when we were having the wild fires in Texas. I was in GA visiting a buddy and not paying attention to any news. The wild fire that consumed my property and truck had been burning for 3 days before I knew about it. At that point of course I turned on the feeds. If I had known to listen I may have been able to call and get my truck and belonging pulled out before the fire got there.
I do agree that having a personal scanner that I can chose what to listen to and what not to is superior, However the live feeds aren't a bad thing that hurt the hobby. They can be a very useful tool.
When the tornadoes hit Middle GA last summer I was able to keep informed via live feed, same with the recent storms that just hit Kentucky.
With the tools that smart phones allow to listen nation wide and even world wide, are very useful. My goal is to make an app that can give users a tool to get real time notifications as there happening.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My opinion: if you wanna know what's going on on the scanner, buy and carry a scanner. I think the live feed is ruining the hobby in a way. I hosted my towns feed for about a year until I realized I wasn't hearing the neat and cool things I used to. I discontinued the feed and those neat.and.cool things are starting to come back.[/QUOTE

I agree. The delay factor makes it a little like listening to yesterdays news.
A real scanner is the only way to be up to date!

n9zas

W6KRU

Tuesday night I heard a detail forming up for a surveillance operation. At one point they discussed which channel to use. One of the officers suggested a popular TAC channel. One of the other officers stated they couldn't use that channel anymore because it could be heard with Iphones. They then settled on a less used TAC channel. Some people are ruining it for the rest of us.

I have never listened to feeds before but I am going to start now to check for conformance to TOS.

johndoe260

Premium Subscriber
windows 7 smartphone app is avail in Zune, it's called 911 scanner by Herm's Software Services, v. 1.0.0.0. 2-20-2012

its avail in the top pick or look in the 'entertainment' section.

fyi

z96cobra

Scanner Radio Pro, for Android phones, allows you to set an alert/notification whenever the number of users reach a certain limit (you specify that #). It also has built-in chat for each "radio" so you get get info you may have missed.

Trk2_Barman

Premium Subscriber
you can also join 1st Responder Wireless News Breaking News Alert Delivery they are a public safety paging company with dispatchers all across the U.S.. for a small monthly fee, you can have incidents that you choose to subscribe to sent straight to you as a text message or email. You choose which type of alerts you want to receive and which localities you want to receive them from. If the incident is covered by one of their hundreds of dispatchers (which depending on where you are, it will be), you receive it.

1st Responder Wireless News Breaking News Alert Delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.