Smartphone Two Way Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am interested in learning more about smartphone two way radios. I am trying to determine if they are legal to use in the United States on AT&T and T-Mobile. It looks like the ones I am running across have 2G and 3G bands, but no 4G LTE.

Does anybody know if the transceiver function is legal in the United States for licensed amateur radio use? What I have found so far is most radios in the United States, except amateur radios, require FCC certification (formerly known as type acceptance).

My interest in these would be to have a backup device to supplement our Verizon cell phone in the United States. I would get a Truphone or prepaid AT&T SIM card for service. Both my wife and I are licensed US amateur radio operators, so we would also use these on 70 cm simplex.

When we travel on a cruise ship for vacation, I would intend to use these on board ship for simplex. My understanding is that we would simply need permission from the licensing authority from the country of the ship's registry, which is often Bahamas or Panama.

Anyway, does anybody know which of these has the best specifications? I have ran across Runbo X5, Hummer H6, and Snopow M8. They look good on their websites, but how well do they work in the real world? Are there any other ones that I should be considering?

N4KVE

For what you need, I would get a couple of Nextel phones & use them on "Direct Talk". They can be had very cheaply since the Nextel system is gone. I know I have 3 or 4 collecting dust. They work fine on a cruise ship, & since they are "cell phones" I don't see the need to ask anybody for permission to use them in a foreign country.

R8000

Very Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
The X5 is not listed on their website. The X6 is, and for that price ? Seriously..OUCH.

Seems like a toy to me. I'd just buy some ham HT's and run with it.

But, if you have $600 burning a hole in your pocket for a Android Baofeng, then have at it !

Not to mention, you way way over complicated a simple task of having radio to talk to a family member on a cruise ship.

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
If you want to operate using your US FCC Amateur Radio License outside the U.S. special regulations apply. You'll probably fall under either CEPT (European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations) or IARP (International Amateur Radio Permit).... the latter has to be applied for.

Much more info and an FAQ from the American Radio Relay League -
US Amateurs Operating Overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.