• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SmartZone P25 Receive only Talk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsheli

Hey guys,
I am the quartermaster of a small VFD, and we are on a P25 800 Smartzone hybrid system that supplements our conventional VHF system. Our mutual aid stations are kind of anal about who has permission to talk on their radio system and who does not. For example they only want member who are officers to be able to talk, that way they don't have to worry about a new guy getting on the radio and trying to act like a police officer. Well with our VHF radios its has been easy as I can set personalities to be receive only on the VHF XTS2500/5000. As more 800 start trickling in via grants I am starting to issue them to members who are not officer and which is where the problem starts. Currently I don't know of any way to set "Receive only" talk-groups, they either have it or they don't. Does anyone know of any programing tricks I can use to so that I can still allow members to listen but not talk on certain channels?
David

RKG

It is possible to program a "receive only" talkgroup via the system controller, and then to patch audio from one or more regular talkgroups to the RXO talkgroup. There are some cities that do this for the media, for whom they will program radios for the RXO talkgroups (usually for a fee). I believe this was more prevalent before the availability of serious consumer-grade trunking receivers.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
That sounds like it'd be a ton of hassle for the system manager to have to go through just to appease some uptight end-users. Unless these departments are owning the system in a consortium of some sort, it's no longer "their" radio system to be all uppity about. If it's important that your members hear those talkgroups, and the system manager is OK with you having those talkgroups, then program them in. Tell your members to behave - trust them to act properly and maturely. If someone starts acting up, one of two things can happen: You or your department's leadership can take away their radio, or the system manager can issue a command to make the radio stop working altogether.

All said, there isn't a per-radio programming option that I know of to make a talkgroup "receive only" like there is in conventional radio programming. The route suggested by the person above me is, IMO, a huge hassle for the system manager to have to go through to appease your neighboring departments who clearly have trust issues. I'd just program 'em up with the system manager's permission, and make it a training issue that people act like grownups or get their toys taken away.

ssd

if you dont have enc then you can set the radios up for enc tx olny. on the talkgrupe so the the radios say i cant tx its a enc olny talkgrupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.