• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Smartzone roaming issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyundaibus

I have a Motorola XTS5000 model III on a 400MHz trunked smartzone system with valid ID. All control channels are programmed in and all parameters are correctly set. The problem is the stupid radio will not switch sites nor will it change sites when the site search button is pressed. The site lock function is off (site unlocked). What is wrong with this crazy radio?

The radio has HOST/DSP version 10.

Liverdog

I have a Motorola XTS5000 model III on a 400MHz trunked smartzone system with valid ID. All control channels are programmed in and all parameters are correctly set. The problem is the stupid radio will not switch sites nor will it change sites when the site search button is pressed. The site lock function is off (site unlocked). What is wrong with this crazy radio?

The radio has HOST/DSP version 10.

There are many things that could be at issue, probably more than can be addressed in this forum. Have you asked your radio shop/programmer and system manager?

One of the obvious is, are you in range of the other sites?

In the zone, your radio or talkgroup could be denied at the other sites. There are several possibilities.

hyundaibus

Removing antenna

When the radio goes to another site, I have to remove the antenna and put it back on and then it will go to that new site, no problem.

richardc63

When the radio goes to another site, I have to remove the antenna and put it back on and then it will go to that new site, no problem.

Hi,

This is sounding familiar- we use this feature as a form of "quasi-Smartnet" operation in case of Zone Controller or multiple link failures. Go to the trunking personality & look for the Site Preference settings... check that this site has not been set as its "Preferred" or "Always" site. Make sure you check all trunking personalities.

This may have been done deliberately to keep this radio from wandering to other sites...

Let me know what you find!

Cheers,

Richard

hyundaibus

Smartzone Problem

All the personalities (sites) are set to NONE. I don't think the radio sees the sites that is supposed to, even when they are in range.

richardc63

All the personalities (sites) are set to NONE. I don't think the radio sees the sites that is supposed to, even when they are in range.

That knocks out one possibility in the profile as the cause...

Next idea- has the talkgroups and/or radio ID been limited in the sites which they are permitted on? Talk to the System Manager to find that out.

Cheers,

Richard

GEMOTO

I have noticed that when the radio is in scan it will not always switch sites properly. You also need to make sure that your SmartZone RSSI threshold values are set up properly. This information varies per radio model, although it does not have a large effect on operation it could still be contributing to your problem. Also make sure there is no local noise/interference on the control channels you are trying to hear. While forcing a site search it may not see the other control channels if they are a bit weaker than the local noise from computers copiers routers etc. I have seeen this problem before.

If you want, send me your codeplug and I'll take a look to see if there any obvious errors.

RKG

A dollar to a doughnut says that the "SmartZone Parameters" are not set to match the parameters engineered for your system. (See "Trunking|Trunking Configuration|SmartZone", "|RSSI Thresholds", and "|Filter Constants.") This will cause the radio either to switch prematurely, switch late, or not switch at all.

richardc63

I think the radio has bugs in it. I have another radio that works properly.

RKG is probably right... I'm willing to bet that the trunking system part of the profile has errors in it. Why don't you take it to someone with (a) CPS and (b) more knowledge of the system/talkgroup configs?

Nothing you have described convinces me that the radio is actually "faulty".

Cheers,

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.