SMD IC Replacement - Any Takers?

Twlighting

As a bit of context, I maintain a number of Axis PTZ network cameras which are notorious for having issues with their PoE power supply boards. I've got three cameras with failed boards at the moment, and the manufacturer does not expect to have replacement boards back in stock until sometime in 2023, so I've delved into attempting repair myself.

Other users report that the common culprit is a pair of NCP1081 ICs on the board. I don't know with certainty that these are the issue on my boards, but it seems like a good place to start given the inexpensive nature of the component.

Unfortunately, the NCP1081 is a rather small IC which would require soldering tools/technique which surpass my current ability. Curious if there's anyone with a hot rework station and a steady set of hands who might be willing to give it a go for a fee?

Here's a photo of the board - tip of the pen is touching one of the ICs in question.

Attachments

• AxisPoE.PNG
    AxisPoE.PNG
    793.5 KB · Views: 10

RFI-EMI-GUY

No special rework station required. You can clip out the old IC body by using a small side cutter and then unsolder each lead and remove with tweezers. You can also cut loose one side and bend up the IC body and apply heat to the leads on the other side and remove all those at once.

Then clean all of the pads with solder wick and tin them with a bit of clean solder. Lay the new part in place and solder one lead at a time being careful not to bridge any pins.

Twlighting

It's tempting - only a matter of time before others fail, so it would serve me well to be able to handle it directly. Don't have the highest confidence in myself for that level of precision soldering, but perhaps with a fine tipped iron and a magnifying glass it could be done.