Smiley Antenna 5/8th Wave Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
On Thursday afternoon I received the Smiley Antenna 5/8th Wave VHF portable antenna that some friends down in the states suggested I purchase. The antenna purchase wasn't meant for a receiver, but rather for my personal Motorola APX4000 I use for work. The stiff stock Motorola antenna works alright, but it isn't really designed for the kind of difficult large expanses, mountains, and river valleys here in Labrador and Northern Quebec.

Ordering online from Smiley Antenna was simple, with plenty of options for the various standard connector types used on both scanners, ham radios, and commercial radios. The shipping was reasonably priced, especially coming to Canada, and the travel time was reasonable. Their sales representative was also kind, and very quick with her email replies.

After just a day of use the difference in my portable's reception is noticeable. I don't have to take my radio out of it's holster nearly as much through the day to able to hear coworkers while out in the field, even down in the canyon, and the same is true for them having to hear me. It is a larger antenna, but it's flexibility makes that a non-issue. I highly suggest their products as an upgrade for any radio. I'll definitely be going back to purchase more products for them for my scanners and my ham radio portables.

Kfred

sounds good! thinking about getting one for my kenwood tk-290, to increase listening range. kfred

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I hav used Smiley antennas since I was first licensed. They have always done well. Due to their modular design, I have converted older BNC models to SMA by ordering new bases.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Diamond antennas are tuned for ham radio frequencies so they won't work as well on 160MHZ The Smiley "5/8" ducks are electrically 5/8 waves, but this is accomplished with a loading coil. They certainly don't have the gain of a true 5/8 wave antenna. Smiley does make true 5/8 telescoping antennas. They are intended for 2 meters, but can be shortened for higher frequencies and will outperform the ducks. Even a quarter wave whip will outperform the duck antenna. Don't get me wrong, I own several Smiley antennas and they are very good, but it is important to define your terms. You can make a short antenna resonate. However, it will not be as efficient as a full size antenna.

N4DJC

Diamond antennas are tuned for ham radio frequencies so they won't work as well on 160MHZ The Smiley "5/8" ducks are electrically 5/8 waves, but this is accomplished with a loading coil. They certainly don't have the gain of a true 5/8 wave antenna. Smiley does make true 5/8 telescoping antennas. They are intended for 2 meters, but can be shortened for higher frequencies and will outperform the ducks. Even a quarter wave whip will outperform the duck antenna. Don't get me wrong, I own several Smiley antennas and they are very good, but it is important to define your terms. You can make a short antenna resonate. However, it will not be as efficient as a full size antenna.

Yep, no comparison to a 5/8 wave telescoping whip...but I don't feel like Broderick Crawford with that whip thrashing around :)

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Coincidentally, I just received mine today. I got the 5/8 duck for RR band. I intend to use it for mobile use when going trackside. So far I like it. But I need a tighter / stiffer BNC 90° elbow. The one I got (NOT from Smiley!) is to loose and often allows the antenna to flop over. I should clarify: I'm using it with a Uniden SDS200 which has a horizontal BNC port.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Coincidentally, I just received mine today. I got the 5/8 duck for RR band. I intend to use it for mobile use when going trackside. So far I like it. But I need a tighter / stiffer BNC 90° elbow. The one I got (NOT from Smiley!) is to loose and often allows the antenna to flop over. I should clarify: I'm using it with a Uniden SDS200 which has a horizontal BNC port.
A handheld antenna inside a car will offer subpar reception. The metal vehicle body will block alot of the radio signals you're looking to receive.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
A handheld antenna inside a car will offer subpar reception. The metal vehicle body will block alot of the radio signals you're looking to receive.
Thanks for your input here. But in case I wasn't clear, I'm talking parking adjacent (like 20' or less) from the railyard. If the generic telescoping antenna works just fine, I think the Smiley 5/8 duck for rail band should meet my needs. I'll know for sure later this coming week.

Status
Not open for further replies.