Smithfield Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

I would first recommend "getting back to the basics" and making sure that your BCD996P2 is properly programmed with ALL of the frequencies for the 4 RISCON zones. You can check the Scan New England Wiki (https://www.snewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Rhode_Island_Statewide_Communications_Network) which shows the Metro/Providence Zone with 12 frequencies, the North Zone with 10 frequencies, the East Zone with 9 frequencies and the South Zone with 10 frequencies. If you don't have ALL of the zone frequencies programmed in properly, you will not hear all of the transmissions in that zone.

Secondly, I personally have not had good results at all using a BCD996XT scanner (which is VERY similar to your BCD996P2 minus the phase 2, DMR, ProVoice and NXDN capabilities) to monitor RISCON. My BCD996XT was attached to a roof-mounted antenna and was getting very strong signals from all 4 RISCON zones but due to simulcast distortion I could only get marginal decode on the Metro/Providence Zone and the East Zone (and even those were very spotty/garbled at times). The North Zone and South Zone were essentially silent on my 996XT due to simulcast distortion.

I ended up picking up an SDS100 handheld and from the same monitoring location I was able to decode all 4 RISCON zones with just a rubber ducky antenna (Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna). All 4 zones now come in with full quieting on my SDS100 and are fully intelligible. The difference is literally night and day. The point is that you might want to invest in an SDS100 handheld or an SDS200 desktop/mobile if you want to be able to fully monitor and enjoy listening to the RISCON system. FWIW

ecps92

is that TG enabled ? and/or is it in a Scan List and not locked out ?

Since you hear others the only other suggestion is to manually go to that TG
and sit on it for the day, see what you hear or don't hear

Yes I do have 1651Talk group

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Another thing is if they used Radio Reference to program the scanner. Make sure "Law Dispatch" list is active, that is where TG 1651 lives. Also sometimes less antenna can help. Try lowering the stock antenna on the scanner.

ecps92

Reception would be a concern, if he was not getting other TG's.
So the antenna is likely NOT the issue

I also seem to recall, in prior postings if a change was made from ID Search to ID Scan or vice-versa
Another thing is if they used Radio Reference to program the scanner. Make sure "Law Dispatch" list is active, that is where TG 1651 lives. Also sometimes less antenna can help. Try lowering the stock antenna on the scanner.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
The 996XT/996P2 scanners don't use service types. Those are only for x35 and SDS series from Uniden.

frankie811

Yes I do have 1651Talk group
I'm also new to the digital scanning world & I'm still learning. But I just checked my lockout TG's & Smithfield PD is one of them, which tells me that they may be located on Metro since I only have the Metro freqs. programmed into my scanner. I do not have the North freqs. programmed.

popo7994

Smithfield PD is a NORTH ZONE only user.
I have North Zone on mine, the problem that I'm having is it says "searching for Control Channel 1"
I called where I bought the Scanner and they programmed it too, they are going to fix it on Wednesday via remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.