Smoking Can Now Void Your Computer Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayAir

Apparently smoking can now be a reason to void the warranty on your computer. How they'll determine if you smoked in the room with your computer i'll never know. Maybe they'll swab it and send it off to a lab:lol:? How stupid.

PSA: Smoking is so bad it voids your computer warranty : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

Side note: I find it amusing whenever i'm looking on Ebay and someone will list in their auction that the item comes from a smoke free home and they are selling a book. I just want to e-mail them to verify that the book doesn't have cancer or any other serious health issues.

Last edited:

mikepdx

Apple is standing by the decisions, saying that repair centers have the authority to make decisions like this on their own, citing OSHA rules that include nicotine in a list of hazardous substances that could damage the health of someone exposed to it.
So, Apple has declared their computer to be a person?

Will automobile manufacturers be looking closely at this policy too?
"You smoked in the car - so, sorry - no warranty on your A/C"

...I find it amusing whenever i'm looking on Ebay and someone will list in their auction that the item comes from a smoke free home...
LOL - Me, too.
I could care less whether the seller smokes, drinks or is an adulterer.
I'm just looking for a good deal on the used product I'm looking for.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Many hazardous substances are absorbed through the skin and nicotine is one of them so handling something coated with smoker's goo can put your health at risk. I take it they're talking about employees at their repair centers and they're too cheap to supply latex gloves. (Partial sarcasm here.)

A more logical statement would be that deliberately causing smoke damage to the equipment would void the guarantee but nobody ever accused a publicist of being a tech writer.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Smoking can now void your computer warrantee

Cancer of a mans lungs who smoked two packs of cigarettes a day.

Cancer of a Dell PC motherboard that smoked two packs of cigarettes a day.

FLCOUGHCOUGHMAN

Attachments

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
"If a technician doesn't like cigarette smoke and your computer smells a bit smoky, it probably won't get serviced."

Please. There are alot of other residues I'd be more concerned about. And since when did Apple users start smoking - cigarettes, I mean.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Apparently smoking can now be a reason to void the warranty on your computer. How they'll determine if you smoked in the room with your computer i'll never know.
It is pretty clear when you open up a computer and the yellow goo is stuck to all the parts of the cooling system. Ineffective cooling; caused by something that the customer did; that damaged the computer, sounds like reasonable grounds to refuse warranty. I have to go to my in law's every three or four months to clean the power switch on their desktop. It stays in and won't start-up after a while. He is a three pack a day smoker and the way air flows in the tower it draws right in through the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.