SMS between different brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
A few of us local chuckleheads are testing SMS text messaging over one of our local repeaters.
...yes we have permission to test by repeater owner...yes we are on the local only non-networked talkgroup.
From my SL7550 or my XPR7550 to a GD77 seems to be lost in translation. Any tips? Have any of yall had success sending/receiving text between brands?

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I think, but don’t quote me, there is an option in CPS for Motorola proprietary SMS or standard. You might want to check which option you have checked. Likely the GD77 has a similar option. I want to think I was successful in passing sms to a connect systems CS-800 from a 7550E. I’ll have to drag out the laptop.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I had to know or it was going to kill me. If you’re using 2.0, go to zone / channel assignment. Into zone and find the column with text message type and set it to DMR Standard instead of proprietary.

(un)fortunately everything I have that uses DMR is Motorola so I can’t do this test myself so I’ll be looking for an update. One of my friends has an Anytone so perhaps I’ll test it out with him to confirm or deny if it will work with this combo.

Hope that helps!

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much in the same boat.
On my end: XPR 7550 OR SL7550 text to his GD77= Chinese characters when sent DMR standard/Blank when sent MSI proprietary.
On his end: GD77 text to my 7550 series=clear English text messages.

We're concluding that this is a GD77 issue. Several of us are experimenting with DMR features on our local networked regional system. DMR is so much more than voice traffic once one starts planning usage amongst local users...and local text would add much more value to the system.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
And HE can alert/page my Motorola units with no issues. MY call alerts/pages to him=he gets nothing but a busy light (indicating traffic, but no decode).

dazey77

I found that Motorola and Hytera can sms between each other just fine when both using sms standard. I could never get either to work with cheap Chinese (connect systems cs-580 or anytone 878). I can’t get the 878 to work with Hytera at all even though it has a Hytera mode

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate the feedback. I figured as much. It's not a deal breaker, but was hoping for the best. One would think DMR SMS standard would work across all brands but I was afraid all bets were off when throwing Chinesium units into the mix.

lynchy135

Feed Provider
I've successfully gotten the GD77 to send and receive from a XPR7550. I don't know what the code plug from the XPR was, as it wasn't my radio, but it worked correctly.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Setting everything to DMR standard instead of proprietary seems to work but both radios have to shake hands. I think there is also an option about being able to send directly in addition to over repeaters also exists for Motorola.

Status
Not open for further replies.