SMSU System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fast2okc

Database Admin
I noticed that Southwest Missouri State University in Springfield has three 800Mhz frequencies licensed (856.2375, 857.2375 and 858.2375). Does anyone know if this is a trunked system or not?

It seems odd that SMSU would establish their own system if Springfield just put up a brand new digital system.

Also, does anyone know if the Highway Patrol is looking at a trunked system?

--FAST2OKC

xhusker

SMSU

The SMSU system was primarily used for phone patches. From information on their site, I found the following:

"University Support Services administers the 800 Mhz trunked two-way radio system for units of the Physical Plant Administration and Safety and Transportation.

Also:
"The University owns and operates a three channel 800 MHz trunked radio system. The system provides both two-way radio and local mobile telephone service.
Departments wishing more information regarding this service should contact University Support Services at extension 64999."

I know they've had this system for a long time, but I've never actually heard any communications on it since I live south of Springfield. It must not be that powerful. I believe all SMSU PD units are now on the new trunked system anyways.

As far as State Patrol goes,... I will check my sources, but I can't understand why they would go to a trunked system. It doesn't make much sense. For the large coverage area of Troop D, they would have to erect several towers in every county. Thats a lot of towers, a lot of coverage, and an amazing amount of money. I would doubt it. It wouldn't matter, even if they did go trunked.. it would take years to get that type of system in place and we would hopefully have newer scanners capable to scan it. The only way I would figure this would happen is if the HQ in Jeff City decided to implement a statewide trunking system. Maybe we have paid enough taxes for this... I have no idea! :rolleyes:

I'm just glad the new Greene County system didn't go full digital. I'm stilling using my old gen. 1 trunking scanners.

Mark

kb0nhx

State Patrol Trunked

The State patrol does not have the funds to go to trunked. When they do, it will be 700 MHz statewide system. All counties and city pd's will be cross patched from 700 to VHF, UHF etc. to provide supurb interoperability.

Cameron314

The SMS system is older the the Spfd/Greene system and is a LTR system. They use the bigger older Kenwoods that look like the 250/350s, newer 480 Kenwoods and I've seen a few new // EX-600 XLTs out there as well.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Re: State Patrol Trunked

kb0nhx said:
The State patrol does not have the funds to go to trunked. When they do, it will be 700 MHz statewide system. All counties and city pd's will be cross patched from 700 to VHF, UHF etc. to provide supurb interoperability.

It's my understanding that the MSHP wants to implement a 400 MHz TRS, because the range of the 700/800 MHz bands is not that great in the mountains and they have to contend with the Ozark Range. Building the system will require a lot of towers and money.

73's

Ron

kb0nhx

It's my understanding that the MSHP wants to implement a 400 MHz TRS, because the range of the 700/800 MHz bands is not that great in the mountains and they have to contend with the Ozark Range. Building the system will require a lot of towers and money

You can confirm the 700 MHz State license issued by the FCC at the following link. . .

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2377068

James
[/quote]

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
mohp

well isn't 700mhz currently the old tv channels.. so wouldn't it be past 2006 before we see any movement on the statewide system?

nd5y

It may be about 2016 before they move all the TV stations out of
the 700 MHz band. They can still run analog TV until something like
85% of the country has digital TV sets. That won't happen for years.

All of the states had a Dec 2001 deadline to apply for
the 700 MHz State Licenses so they are almost meaningless at this point.
I don't think Mo. or any other state is going to actually build a 700 MHz
system any time soon. Where are they going to get the money anyway?

Tom ND5Y

kb0nhx

I could go into great detail about the "plan" to obtain the necessary towers, lease agreements, etc., but it is just a "plan" in the beginning stages.

Equipment wise, they are looking at Ma-Com Open Sky and Motorola Smart Zone for the 700 MHz trunked system.

iamhere300

MO Highway Patrol 700/UHF/VHF????

kb0nhx said:
I could go into great detail about the "plan" to obtain the necessary towers, lease agreements, etc., but it is just a "plan" in the beginning stages.

Equipment wise, they are looking at Ma-Com Open Sky and Motorola Smart Zone for the 700 MHz trunked system.

Actually, MO highway patrol communications section spokesmen have
publically stated they are not leaning towards 700 MHZ, and MO SEMA
has publically stated they do not recomend 700 MHZ.

MO Highway patrol is actively looking at sites, backbone, and
equipment for their migration to a new system, but still have not
decided on VHF or UHF.

Licenses on 700 were required to be obtained by the state by the FCC,
if they had any plans, hopes, dreams to go to 700, so the issuance of
any 700 MHZ license was just to serve as a "placeholder" in case they
did decide to go with it.

Of course, Missouri is about to have a new Governer, (Thankfully) so
all bets are off....

Status
Not open for further replies.