Snoop Daddy Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

af5rn

That actually looks pretty interesting. For the price, it's worth checking out, and I'd like to see the results.

I don't know anything about that particular antenna, but if you'll tell us where you plan to use it (in the house, in the attic, on the window sill, on the roof, etc... so we know your size limitations) we can help you explore your options.

jngizzi

Re: Snoop Daddy Antenna

I bought this antenna on Ebay a few months ago. It works extremely well in 150Mhz range for public service monitoring. It is also very capable in the 450 Mhz range as well as the 800's. Overall a good wide band antenna.

I am using it indoors on the 2nd floor mounted at the very top of a palladium window.

Its constructed very well. It will perform a step above any rubber duck mounted on the unit. I compared it to the Austin Condor and can hear and see the difference with signals that could not be pulled in with the duck.

I tried this connected to a 996T, 396T and my Pro-2006 (modified) with good solid results.

Send me a PM if you want more info.......

Joe

I asked "Slinkyantennas" a question about the snoop daddy antenna on Ebay a couple months ago.

Dear slinkyantennas,

Instead of Bashing your competition, how about a cut-away photo of this amazing antenna you are trying to sell???

- kc9glg

This is their answer...

"Why would you need it?
We don't sell our fine antennas to smart ass CB Greaserz who just got their tech class license!
Besides, you're blocked from our e-mail and from bidding on or buying our products!"

I don't even own a CB radio and I've had my Ham license since 2004.

jngizzi

Maybe I'll cut mine open and post a pic !! :)

Anybody wanna guess what may be inside?

mancow

Database Admin
Send me the money instead. I'll throw some wire in a PVC tube and call it anything you like. :wink:

I mean it may work but so will anything that's near the resonant frequency of what you're listening to. It's kind of like people gazzing over certain hand held antennas. Sure, some work better than others (like the RadioShack 800) but for the most part there's only so much you can expect from a piece of wire. To achieve any real gain you need parasitic elements or reflectors or elevation.

Personally, I would go grab a RadioShack sputnik ground plane or put a mag mount on a pie plate and call it a day.

stevolene

I bought one of those dipole scanner antennas off ebay several years ago, still using it, cant wait to get my scantenna up this week to see if theres any difference

eddie412

Ok so I won't buy it then lol. I'll get the one from radio shack.

Only thing is I never had a real antenna only the stock ones that came with it and I'm not to sure what cables and stuff I would need.

But I have a basic idea.

Heres the antenna http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...Type/Scanner/HAM&fbc=1&parentPage=family

The RG-58 Cable
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&sr=1&origkw=RG-58&kw=rg-58&parentPage=search

And Would I need this? http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...r=1&origkw=PL-259&kw=pl-259&parentPage=search

If i missed anything or if something is wrong please tell me.

Any help is appreciated :)

Last edited:

ERICMYERS

A lot of us use that RS 176 antenna, often referred to as the 'sputnik'. It's worth the money. I use it more than any of the rest of my antennas. Mine is mounted indoors, on a camera tripod and I get up to 40 miles range satisfactorily, (depending on conditions). You might want to get better cable, though you won't find it at RS. Try a truck stop if you don't want to order online or don't have a radio shop near you.
Eric

eddie412

Ok I just choose that because it will be indoors for awhile then eventually I would put it outside.

Also Eric would I need this as mentioned above BNC to PL-259 Adapter and that be all or something different?

Last edited:

ERICMYERS

that depends completely on what cable you buy. I got a nice 15 or 16 foot RG8U cable with PL and BNC already factory attached at a local truck stop for about $30.

edit: you don't want to use adapters if you don't have to. they hurt (attenuate) your signal strength more than you would think.

Last edited:

eddie412

ERICMYERS said:
that depends completely on what cable you buy. I got a nice 15 or 16 foot RG8U cable with PL and BNC already factory attached at a local truck stop for about $30.

edit: you don't want to use adapters if you don't have to. they hurt (attenuate) your signal strength more than you would think.

Ahh ok, I'll look around then. Thanks a lot! :)

radiopro52

The 20-176 is a good performer for the price. It's not the best in 800 Mhz, but if you don't monitor that band then the 20-176 would probably work great for you. Even in you use RG58 you'll still get good reception with it in the low bands, but don't expect anything great in UHF and up. I use LMR400 with my 20-176 mounted 20 feet up and I can pick up some stations 70 miles away, in VHF.

ERICMYERS

within 20 miles on my rig, the 176 is fine in 700/800mhz....pretty much any antenna is OK at that short range. It does perform better on lower bands, like the 150mhz and 400 mhz systems that I listen to at further distances. For $25, you can't go wrong.

I was hoping for better performance on 700/800 mhz and bought a rubberduck from RS, but that really didn't do me much good if any on those bands, and it really stunk on the other bands. The 176 is much better for a general purpose antenna so I use it most of the time now.

My Mag-mount does a surprisingly good job too, and it requires far less space when used indoors than the 176 does. Magmounts are a lot better than anything mounted to the back of a base receiver like the stock telescopic or a rubberduck.

fortunately, antennas are cheap enough that we can have several to play with ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.