Snow clearing crews in Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokey

Does anyone know what frequency the snow clearing road crews are in Milton?

ATCTech

That is correct, Milton Works talk groups, 1400 in particular.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Halton I see, has some regional roads, I think Guelph Line is a "city" road from the lake to the QEW overpass, there is a sign that designates it a Regional Road 1.

I see and hear that H.Hills, Burlington and Milton have active road crews, I see Halton Regional trucks out there often. I guess then, they don't clean, plow, salt the roads?

I also guess than Oakville is on another system entirely?

Burlington has one base and two contractors that do the work here.

ATCTech

As far as I know the Region stopped plowing roads years ago when the big "downloading" wave passed through the Federal, Provincial then Regional administrations. I haven't seen a plow truck with the Halton Region insignia for years, nor was there any plowing activity on the Regional Works talk groups on the old EDACS system. Right around the same time the majority of trucks in the Milton area became those of their prime contractor, Blue Chip. Matter of fact, many of their trucks are old Milton Works trucks, still in the same paint scheme.

Oakville will either be on the Town's TRBO system (most likely) of they may still have discrete VHF frequencies, I've never looked.

pokey

Thanks for the replies! So Blue Chip is on the Regions new system? I never hear activity on the PW channels but when those trucks come down the street I always hear radio chatter from the trucks.

ATCTech

I'll confirm more as we go through tonight's snow event but I think you'll here the contract trucks referred to with "C" prefixes on the 1400 talk group ("C" being contractor I'm presuming) while the Town's own vehicles are just numeric call signs. Standby for updates.... <G>

Edit 5:20PM - I just saw the radio ID for the loader at the works yard join t/g 1400 so I imagine they'll be sending trucks out shortly.

Edit 6:50PM - Confirmed Town of Milton Works vehicles are "###" and contractor units are "C###" call signs.Many trucks now on the roads.

Last edited:

pokey

Nothing at all on the PW channels since 5 pm so they must be on a different system.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
The easiest way to find this stuff out Pokey, simply email your city councillor. If you dont live in Oakville, you can email your regional councillor.

In my experience, they are more than happy to answer questions. Consider this; the best way to describe most peoples interest in municipal/regional politics is apathy. It is the lowest of the low, right there with school board elections.

When I wanted to know more about the P25 system in Halton my city councillor answered my questions and he put he in contact with the police officer who helped, design (for lack of a better word) or worked with the company to make the system what it is today.

He was very easy to get in touch with and he answered all of my questions promptly.

Last edited:

ATCTech

Pokey, who is "they must be on another system"? You asked about the Milton plows originally and I confirmed for you the talk group on the Halton P25 system. Who else are you trying to find? And what "chatter" are you hearing and on what frequency/system?

Last edited:

ATCTech

Pokey,

Actually after rethinking your first reply, I presume that the chatter you hear is when you are outside and a truck goes by with a window down or the radio turned up you hear it that way. Sorry for the confusion.

The radios you hear may not be the Halton trunk all the time.If I remember correctly, Blue Chip bought Howden & Sons (excavation and contracting) a few years ago. I don't see any Blue Chip named licensees listed in the TAFL specifically, but there is still a license for Edgar Howden & Sons on 162.840. Unfortunately it's also used in a couple of dozen other places and I'm hearing school buses on it now, albeit at a very weak level compared to anything coming from the Milton are for sure.

Blue Chip may have another discrete frequency, be on another business trunking system or even TELUS iDen for their commercial operations. If I'm able to track it down I'll post it here.

pokey

Thanks Bob! Yes that is what I meant and I should have explained it better. I couldn't find anything for Blue Chip on TAFL either. I will post if I am able to find anything too!

ATCTech

C200 was sitting in front of my place this morning and it was a Blue Chip truck, so I think the numbering used on the trunking system can be called confirmed. As for separate radios, I'll have 162.840 on during the next snow event (Wednesday afternoon looks promising) and see if it lights up with local activity. The Howden web site says the two companies merged in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.