Snow Oh Noes

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
From the looks of it,the snow might be a doozy for some and I'll be glued to my scanners listening to the Beckley/Fayette/Kanawha police/fire/highway dept scrapers and other emergency personnel. I'm glad that I'm on my long weekend so I don't have to deal with delivering mail in those conditions. I hope no one has to be out and about when it gets bad,so be careful if you guys do need to be out.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have a portable generator I can run either scanner off of(plus rechargeable batteries). I just hope the storm system stays more east than they are saying,cause I don't like that white stuff to make my life miserable lol

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
Heavy Snow

From the looks of it,the snow might be a doozy for some and I'll be glued to my scanners listening to the Beckley/Fayette/Kanawha police/fire/highway dept scrapers and other emergency personnel. I'm glad that I'm on my long weekend so I don't have to deal with delivering mail in those conditions. I hope no one has to be out and about when it gets bad,so be careful if you guys do need to be out.

We're in a Winter Storm Warning until Sunday. I think for us they are forecasting between 12 and 18 inches. I'll be glued to my radios as well, plus I've got plenty of batteries. I'm glad I'm off today and tomorrow as well since Nicholas Co. doesn't keep the roads graded very good anyway. Curious as to how many accidents there will be during this event.

Everyone stay safe and have a good weekend

Chad

dwlyons

I learned after last years "straight line wind shears" that a generator was a necessity. It is ready to go, as is the snow blower of the front of the tractor.

Last year the snow blower served as an excellent insurance policy as not a drop of snow fell. I get the felling its mojo is not as good this year.

Old, Mike and I are in the bull’s eye of this one. We may come and visit you if it get's to bad.

They are saying the I-81 corridor is the major target area.

wvscanner

Database Admin
1:30 and they already calling off school for the day in summers, monre, and greenbrier. kids are already on their way home.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
been hearing nothing but wreaks everywhere since about 3:30 including a tractor trailer jack-knifed on 19(probably heard 30 or so so far)

wvscanner

Database Admin
On 77 it seems it been like 30 for every 15min. 5:55 and they are still several school buses that has kids on them. 2 of them did not get to the school till after 5:15 to take them home. BOE is even trying to call the local FD for assistance.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
19 from Glen Jean to ? is gonna be shut down and 61 from oak hill to Deepwater is shutdown

They are forcing tractor trailers to park on 19 near woay and they are shorthanded on law enforcement to respond(stretched thin with accidents)

Last edited:

dwlyons

It still hasn't started snowing.

Mike, does it require snow falling for the idiots around here to come out?

Just heard a SO unit say that DOH was salting before it started.

I'd like to see how well the beet juice works that they are using in MD. DC started using it 2 years ago and MD said they were going to start this year.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Mike, does it require snow falling for the idiots around here to come out?

Nope...just a separation of dumb, dumber and dumbest. The more snowfall, the dumber they are.

Just heard a SO unit say that DOH was salting before it started.

I'd like to see how well the beet juice works that they are using in MD. DC started using it 2 years ago and MD said they were going to start this year.

I think VA uses it as well and/or a mix with some salt brine mix. They've been using it a lot on RT7, RT28 and other major roads in Loudoun Co. Seems to work well so far.

If anyone has ProScan, I have 2 streams set up now for Berkeley Co. You might hear the same on both but one has Martinsburg PD and no analog State PD or DoH.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Gauley Mountain is closed,tractor trailer jackknifed near Hawks Nest,parts of 19 and 16 and I hear nicholas county on 19 is closed(bet almost the way to sutton exit). Also my power went off briefly(thank god it came back on as I have a electric heat pump and no gas),so I assume there might be power outages in some places(I hope not). Also I just heard a child got struck by a car dunno where though.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I was down in Fayette and Raleigh Counties a little bit today. Even heard Fayette County say that the National Guard was coming in to help clear the disabled vehicles on Rt. 19 around Mt. Hope.

Chad

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Chad that's what I was hearing last night they tried to get the armory open and opened a shelter(had to bust a padlock because the owner was in another county) to get access. This morning I measured 23 inches of snow in my front yard here in Fayetteville with more snow falling. I also heard a lot of fustration with DOH last night and into this morning. Man I got a LOT of shoveling to do this morning,anyone wanna help? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.