Snow Storm January 28-29 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I hope you have your scanner on. If not turn it on. As I type this the web is slowing down to a crawl. The phone lines are getting jammed as well. The Alabama DOT have activated there vhf repeaters. Several wrecks are occurring all over. Several Fire Departments are sending only one truck to respond due to lack of people to go. Reports are people stuck in their cars in Birmingham.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
ALL Mobile County Public Works workers pulled off roads. ALL Conecuh County, AL Roads are Closed. Several Bridges are Icing up. NOAA Weather Radio is sending out Emergency Messages from EMA Directors.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Power Outages reported in Pensacola, Florida. Multiple wrecks on I-10 in Northwest Florida. Emergency Operations Center EOC open and active for Northwest Florida include Escambia County, FL, and Santa Rosa County, FL

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Birmingham, AL Shelters are opened up. Several Cars and trucks left on the roads in Birmingham. Black ice also being reported with 17 degrees in Birmingham,. 24 degrees in Montgomery as of 8:30pm tonight.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Mobile DOT has requested more help from Montgomery to send more plows down south. The Foley Beach Express Bridge has been closed. Pace FL Fire Department has ran out of road cones. Florida Highway Patrol has closed the I-10 Escambia Bay Bridge due to multiple wrecks.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I may be "preaching to the choir", but if it wasn't for my wife listening to a scanner, I may have either been stuck at work or stuck on the roadways on Tuesday.

I went to work concerned about the weather situation, especially when it started sleeting while I was driving to work. I can't listen to my scanner at work, because the concrete and steel block nearly all signals. I can pick up the Montgomery EDACS system, but with nearly all public safety using ProVoice, there isn't much I can pick up anymore. Anyway, she was listening in, hearing the wrecks, iced bridges, etc and phoning reports in to me. I decided to leave about an hour before work shut down, and even though I took it slow going home, there was no traffic to speak of and I didn't get caught up in any wrecks.

Folks that I know that left work an hour later saw there 30 minute commute take four hours!

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
Checking in from Childersburg: Coosa Valley Rescue Squad was busy providing transportation on 155.220, AL DOT sand trucks on 151.055 and 151.130, county VFDs very busy on 453.600.

slimbob

ALDOT's repeaters were never off the air. Those repeaters are on the air 24x7, as are the base stations, and available statewide.

ALDOT doesn't tend to use them outside of 8-5, except when radio users are working outside of 8-5. Some ALDOT users prefer to use SouthernLinc, but the VHF radio is available in most, if not all vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.