Snowbirds Cross Country Flypasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATCTech

ADS-B is an add-on to Modes-S transponders. I don't believe the Tutors have anything more than old Mode C which is still what ATC uses in Canada. Mode-S is not mandatory here in Canada yet. Some aircraft tracking web sites do block military traffic but I can tell you that watching my own ADS-B box and 3 different tracking sites that the Snowbirds did not show up on any of them.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Sounds like they split into two groups with one landing at LSRA about 15 minutes before the second group.

Might have done a pass over Barrie but it sounds like they went straight from London to LSRA.

mciupa

Database Admin

I've redirected this thread to the Prairies to allow members in the west to participate in their own forum.

If you aren't able to hear them, go to post #40 where I recorded them over Toronto off of my BCD536HP.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
For those of us down south, I saw a brief comment on their Facebook page or on another page that the intended route is to go through the north part of the province (of Alberta), hit the coast, and come back through southern Alberta. So we should see them in a few days.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I've seen some video and bystander reports. Two planes took off in formation and at about 800 AGL, one pitched up HARD. Stalled at the top of what would have been a loop; they tried to get wings level but only got it back to about a 60 degree dive before punching out. Two seats left the plane, the chutes were not visible before the treeline obscured them. Photos from the residential area where the plane went down show wreckage on fire in the street and on a lawn, and a chute on a roof with a pair of civilians tending to a pilot (his/her helmet is only partially visible behind the chute).

Unconfirmed reports that one of the pilots did not make it and a civilian woman was found deceased in the back yard of a home. The other pilot is reported to have neck and back injuries.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber

ahp309

Should be 1 pilot and a technician in the aircraft. Since the Snowbirds don't use a support aircraft, their techs ride along in each aircraft.

Saw pictures of the Kamloops Fire members carrying the injured person down an aerial ladder. Also, Kamloops only ARFF unit attended to the crash site in front of the house.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Operation Inspiration has been postponed indefinitely. The aircraft and crews are grounded in CYKA until the investigation is concluded and then reportedly will be returning directly to CYMJ.

There are civilian pilots planning to do flyovers through the Okanagan either today or tomorrow to celebrate the Snowbirds.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
239.6 over Edmonton on Friday. I think that is channel 20.
Very strange as 272.1 is always used in Alberta. Over one hour delay of flight out of Ft. MacMurray.

They have gone home to Moose Jaw now after the incident in Kamloops.

272.1 was used in Edmonton. And yes they are still in Kamloops as per live Global report.

Status
Not open for further replies.