Snowing Like a "Big Dog" in the Eastern Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Snowfall in and around Mammoth Lakes tonight is coming down at a rate I can't measure because I don't want to open my front door. I did open it about 2 hours ago to find 10-12" had fallen since about 1800. PD has now advised Mono 1 that there are no tow trucks available as they hung it up a few hours ago as they were getting stuck. Cars stuck are just being left in place with hazard lights on. People are advised to stay in their vehicles if they can't walk back to lodging. I-80, U.S. 50, and CA88 all closed over the Sierra, with U.S. 395 closed in Mono County from the Nevada state line south to CA108 (Sonora Junction). Town PD officers reporting snow above their headlights (in SUV's) on Meridian Blvd. and on CA203 in from of the Ranger Station. R1 chain controls from Big Pine northbound. Discussion of U.S. 395 being closed somewhere north of Bishop. Town PD now putting chains on all 4 wheels at shift change, with evening officers being held open.

It is supposed to get super windy tomorrow after this storm pulse passes. One more storm is supposed to hit on Monday/Tuesday. I have no idea of what the snow water equivalent is at any snow course. This is not a drought ending series of storms though, we are in such crappy shape, especially as far as ground water overdraft. In addition the fire hose of moisture could shut off for the winter at any time and not return. We will take every flake that has fallen, but the gun should not be jumped here with conclusions on water supplies.

Merry Christmas everyone!

P.S., U.S. 395 being closed somewhere on Sherwin Grade 12-17 miles north of Bishop. CMS set up at the bottom of the grade (changeable message sign) stating "road closed ahead."

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the road conditions report. I live in Mammoth part time, about 12 weeks per year. I'm here now. I woke up to what seems like 18" of new snow and very windy.

{edit} The power just went off for about a minute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.