So after some sweet talk the wife gave me the go ahead on a new base!

So thing is fellas I just bought a new Yaesu FTM-500 dr I’ve been using as a vhf/uhf base, I usually use a Ft5dr and a comet sbb5 in the vehicle. My question is I’ve narrowed it down to a yaesu ft 710 or a 991a now I know I already have a vhg/uhf dedicated base but is the 710 worth the upgrade and losing two bands I already have access too? I'm looking to buy before wife changes her mind lol.

rf_patriot200

So thing is fellas I just bought a new Yaesu FTM-500 dr I’ve been using as a vhf/uhf base, I usually use a Ft5dr and a comet sbb5 in the vehicle. My question is I’ve narrowed it down to a yaesu ft 710 or a 991a now I know I already have a vhg/uhf dedicated base but is the 710 worth the upgrade and losing two bands I already have access too? I'm looking to buy before wife changes her mind lol.
991A, ya Know you want it ! :LOL:

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
Dammit why do I want it when I already have vhf/uhf and the 710 is newer and more feature packed
The important question for you to consider is are the “feature packed” radios you’re referring to features that actually make sense from an operational standpoint or are they basically bells and whistles that ”The Big Three” from the land of the rising sun dangle in front of fellow amateur radio operators like you and I in hopes of having us cough up additional scratch to fatten their bottom line? I’ve never understood why I’m supposed to be jumping over the moon because Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood believe that having several hundred band stacking registers will somehow magically make us more efficient operators, along with an endless menu system that becomes more of a distraction (i.e. a hinderance) than anything else. OTOH, if the difference in price between the two radios is hardly significant or of course, a non-issue all together, then by all means go for it if that’s what makes you happy. Just my two cents and you are more than welcome to take it with a grain of salt. Lol! Good luck with whichever radio you ultimately end up with.

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Hi @Mountaineer304,

Both radio’s list price are about the same and both radios currently have a coupon* to reduce the list price:
Yaesu FT-710 is $1,200 (with $200 coupon)
Yaesu FT-991A is $1,250 (with $100 coupon)

Personally, I would go with the Yaesu FT-710 because of its compactness and it doesn’t have the 2 meter / 70 centimeter bands. I don’t like to put too many eggs 🥚 in the same basket 🧺.

However, both radios are excellent choices. It’s really your call. If you live anywhere close to a ham radio store, even if 150 miles away, drive there and get up close and personal with both radios. Make sure they have both radios on display before driving there. By trying them out, you may be better placed to make a sound decision.

Best wishes on your ham radio journey!

73, Dave K4EET

*NOTE: I only checked pricing at GigaParts…

Hi @Mountaineer304,

Both radio’s list price are about the same and both radios currently have a coupon* to reduce the list price:
Yaesu FT-710 is $1,200 (with $200 coupon)
Yaesu FT-991A is $1,250 (with $100 coupon)

Personally, I would go with the Yaesu FT-710 because of its compactness and it doesn’t have the 2 meter / 70 centimeter bands. I don’t like to put too many eggs 🥚 in the same basket 🧺.

However, both radios are excellent choices. It’s really your call. If you live anywhere close to a ham radio store, even if 150 miles away, drive there and get up close and personal with both radios. Make sure they have both radios on display before driving there. By trying them out, you may be better placed to make a sound decision.

Best wishes on your ham radio journey!

73, Dave K4EET

*NOTE: I only checked pricing at GigaParts…
Yeah I found the ft-710 for 900 and thr 991 for 1099.. Since I jusy bought a new Yaesu FTM-500DR inmarch id probably be better when the newer 710

Replace the FT5DR in your vehicle with the FTM-500. With the 991a, you'll still have VHF/UHF and Fusion in your shack.
So limited in space in the car for the ftm500, and I kinda like the idea of two base stations.. plus the ft710 is a 2023 model lots of new features

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

If it were me I'd definitely go with the 710. The 991x would be handy having 2m/440 if you decided you wanted to take it out and about, or put it in your vehicle. But the 710 has significantly better receiver specs and can handle rejection of strong signals nearby the frequency you are monitoring on HF a lot better than the FT-991 can.

If it were me I'd definitely go with the 710. The 991x would be handy having 2m/440 if you decided you wanted to take it out and about, or put it in your vehicle. But the 710 has significantly better receiver specs and can handle rejection of strong signals nearby the frequency you are monitoring on HF a lot better than the FT-991 can.
Yeah plus I hate my ftm 500 as a base and my dmr mobile in the car