So Cal HF handoff frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Hey All,

Does anyone know what the ZLA handoff frequency to ARINC HF is for the Los Angeles area? Long story, but I used to hear them prior to having antenna issues. I am back up and receiving much longer distances now and wanted to see if I can receive that freq again.
I have the ARINC VHF 131.950 for LAX on-ground and extended range, but I haven't logged anything there so far.
I seem to recall that it was a Center frequency and not ARINC.

Thanks,
Mark

silagi

Premium Subscriber
Yes 131.95 is the correct VHF frequency for AIRINC but is rarely used any more now that CPDLC is in use.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Yes 131.95 is the correct VHF frequency for AIRINC but is rarely used any more now that CPDLC is in use.
So with CPDLC, aircraft get a handoff from ZLA to ARINC HF with no confirmation or HF frequency assignments over voice?
I remember hearing LA Center or ARINC (Probably Center, now that I think about it) handing off to SFO radio and giving the HF frequency over the air.

I am aware of the Pac HF Assignments page and have no issue picking up traffic on HF, just curious on the VHF side before handoff.

silagi

Premium Subscriber
Yes that is correct. I believe the frequencies are included in their Oceanic Clearance which they get via CPDLC.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I am aware of the Pac HF Assignments page and have no issue picking up traffic on HF, just curious on the VHF side before handoff.

VHF side before going to oceanic is 126.52 and 132.15, though now with traffic the way it is and different sector combinations, you might also hear it on 119.05 at various times.

autovon

Ø
Whoops! Read your original request too quickly and thought you were looking for HF.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Alcuahete. That's what I was looking for.

Thanks for the responses, Silagi and Autovon. Sorry if my original post was confusing.

AirScan

I believe the frequencies are included in their Oceanic Clearance which they get via CPDLC.

As a side note. From the datalink logs I've seen from the LAX and SFO areas this doesn't appear to be the case. I've never seen the HF frequency assignment included as part of a clearance or in a message initiated by ATC. For traffic enroute ATC will dig them up if specifically asked by the aircraft but it seems most flights are getting them by some other means.

There is a LiveATC feed in the SFO area monitoring 131.950 and you will still hear some traffic calling to get the HF frequencies. It seems to be mostly the Asian carriers, in the last few says I've heard ANA, JAL and EVA using it, as well as Kalitta charter.

I suspect most aircraft departing LAX and SFO will get the HF frequencies while on the ground before they push back, but it doesn't seem to be by using ACARS/CPDLC though, which leaves me wondering how they are getting them if not on VHF voice ? Anyone in the LAX area that can monitor 131.950 or in the SFO area 130.400 and confirm they are not being used by aircraft on the ground to get the HF frequencies ? Some carriers might be including them as part of the operational flight plan generated by their dispatch ?

AS

autovon

Ø
There's at least one company that says to contact ARINC on the ground on 128.9 (at LAX) for HF Freqs. 130.4/131.95 for SFO.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I monitored 130.4 last Spring daily from the Bay Area and the air carriers flying through CA on the way to the islands would call ARINC on this freq and ask for the HF enroute frequency. They usually received the primary and a secondary frequency. These would be flights from ORD, DEN, DFW, etc. As someone mentioned above, those departing the Bay Area for the islands would probably get the HF freq in their dispatch papers and not from ATC.

AirScan

There's at least one company that says to contact ARINC on the ground on 128.9 (at LAX) for HF Freqs.

I monitored 130.4 last Spring daily from the Bay Area and the air carriers flying through CA on the way to the islands would call ARINC on this freq

Thanks for the info. So some are using the alternate ARINC "ground" frequencies instead of the "advertised" 131.950.

silagi

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. So some are using the alternate ARINC "ground" frequencies instead of the "advertised" 131.950.

If westbound aircraft are too far east of the coast line they can have a hard time contacting ARINC on 131.95 due to the transmitter/receiver location. It is located almost at sea level right along the coast line south of Half Moon Bay and the signal to the east is blocked by the coastal mountains. I worked at SFO as a ramp controller for 5 years and had 130.4 on my radio console and rarely heard aircraft on the ground calling on it.

AirScan

If westbound aircraft are too far east of the coast line they can have a hard time contacting ARINC on 131.95 due to the transmitter/receiver location.

Interesting, thanks for that.

I worked at SFO as a ramp controller for 5 years and had 130.4 on my radio console and rarely heard aircraft on the ground calling on it.

Still a mystery then on how some SFO departures are getting the frequencies ?

AirScan

BTW that LiveATC feed is mine.

Thanks for providing it. Interesting mix of traffic on there, especially when the warning areas are hot. I seem to remember being able to hear the ARINC operator on 131.95 loud and clear but haven't lately ? Maybe thinking of another feed or they use different transmitter sites ?

silagi

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for providing it. Interesting mix of traffic on there, especially when the warning areas are hot. I seem to remember being able to hear the ARINC operator on 131.95 loud and clear but haven't lately ? Maybe thinking of another feed or they use different transmitter sites ?
On my feed I dont remember ever hearing the ARINC operator on 131.95. I am about 25 miles from the transmitter site but on on the other side of the mountains. As a comparison, I am about the same distance from the 134.15 transmitter which is on the same feed but it is located on a hilltop with a clear line of sight so it loud and clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.