So. Calif. Edison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Hello, everyone,

I have BCD996P2 scanner and I am not able to pickup Edison for any area. I am in Orange County (Garden Grove) and would like to monitor.
Can anyone give me some information on what I might be doing wrong? Is it encrypted?

Thanks, Randy

allend

Premium Subscriber
Just do a custom search on 935.000 mhz thru like 937.000 and note all the control channels in between this search and note the system ID and then program these control channels. Since you live in Garden Grove you might be able to pickup some LA control channels as well as Catalina and Orange County. Its a Phase II system.

Once you note all of the control channels within this range above make sure you figure if they are Edison or LA DWP and program accordingly

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes on the Dakin Peak site (Catalina South) I can hear the "Orange County B" talkgroup patched onto our site. Kind of annoying since it doesn't apply to us on the island, but since Dakin puts out so much power, it has decent mainland coverage along the coast.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I have entered the control channels found on Radio Reference for Mt. Wilson (should be able to hear), have also searched for other control channels without any luck. The scanner doesn't lock on to any control channels.
Do I need to set up a band plan?
System type is set to "P25 Standard Trunk"
Do you have a site number for Dakin Peak? Or atleast a control channel for the site?

Thanks, Randy

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
I have entered the control channels found on Radio Reference for Mt. Wilson (should be able to hear), have also searched for other control channels without any luck. The scanner doesn't lock on to any control channels.
Do I need to set up a band plan?
System type is set to "P25 Standard Trunk"
Do you have a site number for Dakin Peak? Or atleast a control channel for the site?

Thanks, Randy
Dakin Peak is Site 88 in the RR database; Control Channel 936.925 MHz.

[Edit] I also notice you said you set your scanner to "P25 Standard Trunk". See if there is a setting for Phase 2 or X2-TDMA. Most of the talkgroups that I've heard are using phase 2.

For you in Garden Grove, I would suggest using site 98, which I believe is Santiago Peak or somewhere close by. From Catalina, I can receive site 98's control channel and it behaves similar to other repeaters that I know of on Santiago. (By "behaves" I mean I have coverage in similar areas around Avalon.) Site 98 also carries a lot of traffic on the "Orange County A/B/C/etc." channels.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I came across 936.825 that has been working. I've heard units from Santa Clartia to the inland empire and the areas Edison covers in OC.
The frequency isn't listed anywhere, not even on the FCC website.
Could be Santiago as the signal is strong.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
I came across 936.825 that has been working. I've heard units from Santa Clartia to the inland empire and the areas Edison covers in OC.
The frequency isn't listed anywhere, not even on the FCC website.
Could be Santiago as the signal is strong.

Site 100 is a 6-frequency site with 936.825 as the primary control channel in the DB. Southern California Edison Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Still bugs me that not much is known about the sites on this system and no scanner users that work for Edison have stepped forward to help us identify the site locations.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
While the thread is still active, I have another topic of interest.

A friend who is an employee with Edison showed me his handheld work radio, an APX4000, 900 Mhz. There appears to be only one talkgroup/channel for Catalina, which is named "Pebbly Beach" in his radio. I didn't see "FSR 61" or "OPS 61" anywhere. When FSR 61 pops up on my scanner, the traffic is never island-related, I could never identify where the parties on the radio were located. Is it possible that more of the channels on our database for this system are mis-labeled? Thoughts, ideas?

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Here in Ventura on site 192 I hear 4 talkgroups I don’t see in RR. The first seems to be in charge with the other three being underlings. I haven’t heard any geographical references.

Just heard 12541 referenced as “Mesa”. I see that 12542 is Mesa Substation Transmission. Where is Mesa?

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
They patch talkgroups very often so you will hear traffic for an area that is not yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.