So can you really program a scanner by hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9GTJ

Yes! I received my new BCT15 today and while I have the Butel software for it, I decided to give it a go by hand. I entered a 10 channel EDACS system in about 5 minutes. (Of course no talkgroups...)

Maybe I will do it all by hand just for fun. :)

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
kokomo1 said:
Yes! I received my new BCT15 today and while I have the Butel software for it, I decided to give it a go by hand. I entered a 10 channel EDACS system in about 5 minutes. (Of course no talkgroups...)

Maybe I will do it all by hand just for fun. :)
I can program handhelds by hand, but count me out when it comes to bases and mobiles. They wear out my hand so much... :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When the PRO-96 was in testing, I spent about 8 hours programming it by hand (PC software didn't exist for it until months after its release). One of the engineers asked to use it for a quick test (I should mention that I was with RS at the time). The test should not have in any way required the complete reset of the unit. Of course, he did a complete reset of the unit.

The second time it only took about 6 hours, and I never, ever let the engineer near it again. :*)

I can program a bit faster on the BCD396T / BCD996T / BCT15 / BR330T, but doing it by hand is still very tedious (but good to know how to do).

KR4BD

I have "hand programmed" the following trunkers: Prp-90, Pro-92, Pro-94, Par-2050 and Pro-2052. The easiest (for me anyway) of these was the Pro-94. I can program that scanner virtually blindfolded. The worst (for me) of this group is the Pro-92. I find this scanner to be a nightmare to hand program. So, yes, you can program trunktrackers "the old fashioned way" if you have patience.

SCPD

QRT
Hi,
I have programmed every single radio except for my 396T by hand, this is over 50 different radios in quite a few years.

Now I do my 396T via my pc but I still can do it by hand if I ever need to.

Paul
VK7FPGB
www.scanningtasmania.org

scanner92us

KR4BD said:
I have "hand programmed" the following trunkers: Prp-90, Pro-92, Pro-94, Par-2050 and Pro-2052. The easiest (for me anyway) of these was the Pro-94. I can program that scanner virtually blindfolded. The worst (for me) of this group is the Pro-92. I find this scanner to be a nightmare to hand program. So, yes, you can program trunktrackers "the old fashioned way" if you have patience.

I have been the opposite from you. I found my pro-92 easier to program than my brother's pro-94. I must've read the manual 1000 times before I got it right.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
If you are of the type where you
1. know what you want to monitor and
2. you know how you want the banks and freq's set up and
3. tend to not want to change things around much or at all
then do it by hand. It is not worth the learning curve on the software for a 1 or 2 time event.
If you are of the type where you are constantly adding/changing/rearranging....get software.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-92

scanner92us said:
I have been the opposite from you. I found my pro-92 easier to program than my brother's pro-94. I must've read the manual 1000 times before I got it right.

I found the PRO-92 to be "very easy" to program. I programmed all 500 channels, plus two banks of talkgroups (one has 100 IDs) all with 12 character thought out alpha tags all by hand. I only recently acquired a cable and s/w from here and used it to make a backup of what I've programmed.

The key is to first plan out what you want to enter and where (especially the alpha tags). Then the programming is a repetative process of reading what you've planned.

Best,
George

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Using Uniden Dynamic Functions with systems in place of banks/chanels, the most time eater part is assigning the alpha tags, but then you can do that from the available software after the fact. System attributes, frequencies, LCN's (if needed), and talkgroups are easy to assign. Even the quick key assignment is not too bad.

ampulman

My decision to purchase a 396T was made over a period of a month or so. During that time, I read and re-read the manual (.pdf) over and over again (skipped some parts with each re-read) until I placed by order.

When I finally received it, I manually programmed 4 systems right out of the box.

Haven't looked back yet.

AM

ctrabs74

Once I programmed a few systems into my 396, it got easier with each new system that I'd subsequently add. When I had my Pro-95, describing the process as "tedious" would be an understatement. I prefer programming manually as opposed to using a software program or file since I know what I want to enter into a particular system (and, seeing as RR is my primary source, I know the info will be relatively accurate).

Status
Not open for further replies.