• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng So I bought a cheap Baofeng BH-f6 to try GMRS

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody have success programming this radio? I can type in a frequency and it works, but chirp refuses to upload to the radio. Gladly pay to build a list that will work with this radio for anybody that can build a file I can upload. I can download from the radio and after following the CHIRP documents, I never get a upload button.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Highly doubt it couls hit 6 watts in a ideal situation.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Probably nothing, however it is a violation of FCC rules and could result in lose of FCC license (any he might have) and civil penalties.
Oh oh, the police are out tonight scanning messages. Go read any reviews, some claim 5.6 watts. I am running in the house with a floor above me, do you think I am drowning out the airwaves? On a handheld with stock antenna. Lucky if I can be heard a mile away. Go back and read my first post, bought a cheap handheld to see if it was viablbe to build a base station and if there was enough activity to make it worth while.

The_NotARubicon

GMRS Hobo To The Stars aka Randolpho (Randy) Cafe
Probably nothing, however it is a violation of FCC rules and could result in lose of FCC license (any he might have) and civil penalties.
That sounds pretty serious. Do you have any information on the last time the FCC revoked a GMRS license or imposed civil penalties for someone simply transmitting on GMRS frequencies with a non-part 95 approved radio? Considering that thousands of people do this on a daily basis, I image this list must be extensive.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
This is the mentality that bothers me. I got my GMRS ticket, I wanto to try it out on this band. I could buy a $300 radio, or I could go cheap to check it out. But instead I am a radio felon for using a cheap CCR radio that is incapable of putting out 10 watts. Best I have seen on you tube is just a tad over six. The HAM police just need to stop

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I agree Kevin, this policing has to stop. Hams are no better than CB'ers they think a ticket makes them better. Yes they are licensed higher than me, but that does not mean I have not been in radio for years. In the 80's installing C-Band dishes, doing radios for the last 20 years. And the last sentence is why I don't want to be a cranky old HAM.Share the knowledge, don't fight it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Why didn't you buy an inexpensive GMRS radio? There are several available that are FCC certified. Mine has all the frequencies, both simplex and repeater pairs and were ready to go after a quick charge. Not pro quality, but better than the junk most retail stores carry.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I would like a link to a radio like the, would be my main machine. But went with something that can tune my analog FD also

KB0VWG

Does anybody have success programming this radio? I can type in a frequency and it works, but chirp refuses to upload to the radio. Gladly pay to build a list that will work with this radio for anybody that can build a file I can upload. I can download from the radio and after following the CHIRP documents, I never get a upload button.
I dont have that radio do have a Baofeng Uv-5r and It works with Chirp fine. Sometimes I read to turn the volume all the way up then try to program, Dont know where I read that from, but sometimes when the radio would receive a signal it would not upload or download.
Kb0vwg
Michael

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
GM-15 Pro is a good choice too. And it is FCC approved. I have three. My kids and I have had no adverse effects using these radios other than ridicule from the forum L33t.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Go back and read my first post, bought a cheap handheld to see if it was viablbe to build a base station and if there was enough activity to make it worth while.

Actually, your first post does not mention anything about building a base station or anything about activity. It speaks of not being able to upload to the radio.

I do not believe that radio is FCC Part 95 compliant, and should not be used on GMRS.

Highly doubt it couls hit 6 watts in a ideal situation.

But went with something that can tune my analog FD also

Wattage has to do with it. If the radio is not FCC certified for the GMRS band, it's not certified.

Most people here on the forums are law abiding citizens and generally won't help people that are not complying with rules. If the radio you have is not FCC certified, you will catch flack. If it is certified, you will receive all the help you need.