So I bought this Antennacraft ST2 "Scantenna"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
I have a ST-2 sitting in its box in my closet, unused. Was going to replace my RS 20-176 with it, but upon testing, really did not hear/see any difference. I figured why put up this obnoxious 8 ft antenna if my little 20-176 works just as well. Anyone else experience this?

digitalanalog

i have used a RS20-176 in the past and it was a very poor receiving antenna compared to the ST2, but i am rural and think this is why the ST2 works for me much better, that being said whatever works the best is the best to use. Regardless..........

jimsmowin

i also got one about a month ago replaced a simular antenna, works great. i had a much older verison did not have to use new coax.

BearMan54

the RS 20-176 is what I threw away after I tried out the ST-2..... I would never go back to the RS antenna, that's why I junked it......

Bob_61

I have a ST-2 sitting in its box in my closet, unused. Was going to replace my RS 20-176 with it, but upon testing, really did not hear/see any difference. I figured why put up this obnoxious 8 ft antenna if my little 20-176 works just as well. Anyone else experience this?

obnoxious! That's mean my ST-2 is crying! Oh, that just rain!! :twisted: Never mind!

Last edited:

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
obnoxious! That's mean my ST-2 is crying! Oh, that just rain!! :twisted: Never mind!
Wow, now I am feeling a bit guilty for not putting up my ST-2. But, seriously, my little RS already receives everything I need at full signal strength, so seems to be overkill to put up the big ST-2 for no good reason. Know what I mean?

Bob_61

Wow, now I am feeling a bit guilty for not putting up my ST-2. But, seriously, my little RS already receives everything I need at full signal strength, so seems to be overkill to put up the big ST-2 for no good reason. Know what I mean?

Maybe there will be a time when you can use it, who knows you my move and the have the need for it. After all these years of scanning the ST-2 is my first scanner ant. So I have nothing to compare it to, but works for me and bought it for 38.00 w/shipping so I went for it.

KJ6HCB

Well, I bought one from Universal - you guys pushed me over the edge. Will be going on my 30' mast and running to several feed scanners. Now to figure out a good splitter setup....

Baskt_Case

We were out of town for the holidays so UPS currently has my antenna at the local hub. Tracking info says they will attempt to deliver again this Tuesday. Cant wait to get my hands on this.

Well, I bought one from Universal - you guys pushed me over the edge. Will be going on my 30' mast and running to several feed scanners. Now to figure out a good splitter setup....

Do you plan to use a preamp before the splitter?

Baskt_Case

It's Here!

w00t! It's here, finally. Almost missed the UPS man yet again but I managed to rise from my slumber and stagger to the door just in time. 12 hour night shift sucks, but it buys these goodies, ya' know? So, in the meantime, I have to say props to Universal for an awesome $5.95 Shipping job. Its a 5 foot long container, packed with a 4 1/2 ft. antenna box and a good piece of wood to keep it from flexing, plenty of foam peanuts and nice shiny new Universal catalog to drool over. Full unboxing when I get home from work in the morning, I have to get back to bed.

Attachments

• DSC03227.jpg
    DSC03227.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,533

Baskt_Case

Contents of box...

So, heres whats in the box.

The ST-2 antenna, 50' of RG-6 coax with decent F-connectors, F to BNC adapter, 700 Ohm to 75 Ohm Transformer, bag of hardware, instruction sheet, and a lightning/hazard sticker. This is as far as I will get until Saturday. Not the best pics, my little Sony camera has about kicked the bucket.

Attachments

• DSC03228.jpg
    DSC03228.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 4,071
  • DSC03229.jpg
    DSC03229.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3,447

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
So, heres whats in the box.

The ST-2 antenna, 50' of RG-6 coax with decent F-connectors, F to BNC adapter, 700 Ohm to 75 Ohm Transformer, bag of hardware, instruction sheet, and a lightning/hazard sticker. This is as far as I will get until Saturday. Not the best pics, my little Sony camera has about kicked the bucket.

Looks cool! How heavy and sturdy do you think the ST-2 is?

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
i have used them for years,they are good on everything except 800 but will pull in the nearest towers and great for the vhf/uhf air band

Chowda

I am surprized that no talk of a fm trap was mentioned in this thread . I have used this antenna for years but when 1st installed it had poor results (radio worked better without it ) the fix was a fm trap .

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

Baskt_Case

Upon first handling the ST-2, construction is exactly like common VHF/UHF television antennas. Rolled aluminum with rivets and plastic retainers, with aluminum wire cross connects. I can see where this thing could possibly be vulnerable in high winds, it orients vertically, whereas TV antennas are horizontal and susceptible to less wind loading. We'll just have to put it up and see. Here in central Ky, it is very hilly terrain and that tends to cut down on straight line gusts and sustained wind speeds.

I am surprized that no talk of a fm trap was mentioned in this thread . I have used this antenna for years but when 1st installed it had poor results (radio worked better without it ) the fix was a fm trap .

Good point, and this is being considered. I have been looking at them and I'll just have put the ST-2 up and try it out, and go from there.

PowerHouseCom

Maybe there will be a time when you can use it, who knows you my move and the have the need for it. After all these years of scanning the ST-2 is my first scanner ant. So I have nothing to compare it to, but works for me and bought it for 38.00 w/shipping so I went for it.

I'm in the same boat as you, it's my first scanner antenna I ever bought, still using it today. I've been using it for probably 15 years now? Not even really sure it's been so long. It was cheap when I bought it, and I'm glad I went for it. It's never let me down; receives everything I could ever want, and more!

Just another happy user...

Bob_61

Hey Rt169Radio! Although Irene was not to bad here, but my ST-2 made it though fine with what wind we had here. Which were not to bad and that stupid Oct. snow storm which left me without power for about a week, and I am lucky since other were out longer. :) So not too much of a test for the ST-2, but ok.

Kursch1672

Premium Subscriber
Once it's built, you can run a dowel rod down the middle (vertically), zip strip it in place. That will greatly strengthen it. Worked on mine for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.