• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So, is the BKR9000 really vapourware?

mancow

Database Admin
I hope they don't have issues with parts supply like others do. We are having a time getting Apx4000 batteries and are eager to try out the 9000.

Last edited:

Radar412

Premium Subscriber
split between Berkeley Springs, WV & Wyoming
Jeff, was there any discussion of whether they have, and I'll use big M's term for the lack of a better description, some form of a wide band entitlement key so that it can operate on amateur 2 m and 70 cm, Marine, & GMRS 462/467 channels?

rsmith7799

Thanks Jeff for stating all of this. I took the Friday class and concur. BK is being very hard charging on this radio in the ways that they release it and the ways that we, as Dealers sell it. We can show pics of it, how it works, what you can purchase (in the way of the different bands) accessories but we have strict rules on releasing the pricing. You MUST call your local Authorized Dealer and get pricing. Not ALL Dealers are Certified to sell the BKR9000 (like Jeff stated) and that's fine, some don't want or their clients don't need the 700/800MHz. bands, so they will sell the BKR5000.
More to come to the Group.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Until the Part 90 Certification is granted for 700 MHz, we cannot sell them to agencies which are on systems that utilize 700 MHz frequencies. To date they have been mute on this critical issue. Some of this pushback comes directly from the system managers saying they are not comfortable putting equipment not legal for 700 on their systems.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Until the Part 90 Certification is granted for 700 MHz, we cannot sell them to agencies which are on systems that utilize 700 MHz frequencies. To date they have been mute on this critical issue. Some of this pushback comes directly from the system managers saying they are not comfortable putting equipment not legal for 700 on their systems.
Isn't that something very basic that should be easy for a company like BK to take care of? Does anyone know when that certification will be completed?

jeffycc

Jeff, was there any discussion of whether they have, and I'll use big M's term for the lack of a better description, some form of a wide band entitlement key so that it can operate on amateur 2 m and 70 cm, Marine, & GMRS 462/467 channels?

I'm not sure if this will answer your question. It does say "UHF 380-520 MHz, 5 Watt".

Please let me know if this doesn't answer your question.
Jeff

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm not sure if this will answer your question. It does say "UHF 380-520 MHz, 5 Watt".

Please let me know if this doesn't answer your question.
Jeff

I think he's probably asking about if it'll have some sort of option for 5KHz deviation on VHF/UHF for those that want to use it on Amateur radio, GMRS and/or marine band

Currently, the answer is "no".

Only shows narrow band analog and P25 as emission designators. Does not show 16K0F3E (except on 800/900MHz), so unless they made a mistake here too, there is no wide band on VHF or UHF.

Also, only shows Part 90, so won't be 'legal' for use on Marine (Part 80) or GMRS (Part 95). Yeah, I know "Everyone" ignores that part of the rules….

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Interesting that BK is stifling dealer price competition by not allowing pricing details, thus forcing customers into potential full court press sales calls just to get an idea of the cost. They are of course, free to conduct business as they wish, making pricing secret seems counter productive, even if it does cull out some lookie-loos.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Isn't that something very basic that should be easy for a company like BK to take care of?

Yes. I'm sure they are aware and working on it.

Does anyone know when that certification will be completed?

FCC OET site doesn't show anything approved yet. That may just mean it is in process. Again, I'm sure BK is aware and working on it. Missing this obvious requirement would prevent legal use of the radio on 700MHz systems.

gtaman

If it uses the same firmware as the BKR5000. (it should. The KNG use the same) it will do wideband. My BKR5000 currently does wideband. There is a checkbox in the software.

Radar412

Premium Subscriber
Thanks gtaman, that's what I was wondering. Whether it will do the 25 kilohertz/ 5 KC wideband. It is nice to be able to do in combination with using it for Public Safety and the radio maintenance that I do. I'd kind of like to confirm that though for sure before I solidly look at buying one.

Radar412

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jeff for responding. I was looking for what GTA man mentioned, which I did see in an RES overview video of programming a BKR 5000. It shows a ' narrowband override' on one of the screens so that the bands that still used 25 khz deviation such as ham, marine, & GMRS would work. I wanted to know if that carried over to the 9000.

gtaman

This is from the BKR5000 FPP menu. Literally you can FPP anything.

Wide and narrow. I have HAM stuff and commercial.

Attachments

• B2D547B3-A449-451A-B07B-C8117823C9BE.jpeg
    B2D547B3-A449-451A-B07B-C8117823C9BE.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 122

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Had one of the IWCE2023 e-mails come through today and low and behold, BK is listed as one of the companies that will be there.
I guess they are ready to return to the trade show circuit and show their wares. Looking forward to seeing the 9000 finally.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
BK is present at IACP in Dallas. Showing off the BKR9000. After talking with a friend over there...P25 is the only digital mode they are developing for (bummer but their price point is good).

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Are they trying to beat motorolas and kenwoods price at all band? If not they won't go far.

None the less I have seen nothing but issues from the kng line with a county next door and the users sick of bk. I've heard excuses from firmware to bugs to the dealer was selling refurbished as new to the agency. Who knows.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
They are priced similarly to EFJ (little more maybe, but American manufacturing versus Japanese manufacturing). What I don't know about is how their features are licensed with the BK radios and whether or not BK will be offering trade-in/trade-up specials which may be where pricing really begins to differentiate.