• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So, is the BKR9000 really vapourware?

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I’ve seen conflicting info as to whether 900MHz made it into the final production version. Can anyone confirm ?

I have never seen 900mhz in any marketing materials or in any correspondence from BK regarding the BKR9000. The latest brochure I was sent, just a few weeks ago, does not indicate 900mhz anywhere.

Attachments

• BKR-9000-Brochure_Final.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 29

county

Premium Subscriber
Well, until recently, 900 capability was listed in numerous places, vendors’ websites (still posted on at least one), I believe even at BK. At any rate, thanks all for confirming that it did not make the cut. Unfortunately that means this radio is a no-go for my (albeit niche) use-case.

Perhaps a future iteration will include it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Perhaps a future iteration will include it.

The FCC approval from a year or so back showed 900MHz capability. So at least back then, the RF board had the ability to do that.

The more I read about this product, the more confused I am.
- 900MHz capability, but not offered.
- 700MHz capability, but didn't submit for type acceptance.

I think their marketing people are asleep, or at least took a really long lunch break.

sefrischling

I think their marketing people are asleep, or at least took a really long lunch break.

I think this may extend beyond the marketing team. It is perplexing. Last I checked the radio still did not have FCC type acceptance on 700mhz, so was that resolved or not?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Technically, they would not be permitted to sell that radio in the USA with the 700MHz band active until it has type acceptance.

I can imagine they are working on this right now, but it sure has taken them a while. That's one costly F-up.

rsmith7799

I actually help the 9000 in my hand, so it is being made. As a Dealer, I'm not suppose to get my "demo/beta tester" until sometime in March.
And no word on the FCC testing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I held one of the first versions at IWCE in March of 2019. It's changed quite a bit since then.

I really hope they get their act together. I'm all for competition in the industry. I helps moderate prices.

gtaman

Sadly, I think BK really dropped the ball by dumping the DPH line and the forest service/wildland stuff in favor of competing with the big manufacturers. Glad to have my DPH, but probably the 'newest' BK any of my agencies will ever use

I think the BKR5000 will do very well as more get into the field. They are very rugged and easy to use.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Sadly, I think BK really dropped the ball by dumping the DPH line and the forest service/wildland stuff in favor of competing with the big manufacturers. Glad to have my DPH, but probably the 'newest' BK any of my agencies will ever use

100% agree! The agencies that had the DPH line HATE HATE HATE the P150 series. Some of them are now buying DPH radios on eBay to keep their fleet going and the rest have just started using their multiband APX radios since they are now approved by forestry.

Motorola shot themselves in the foot in a similar way by changing up the CleanCab spectra in the railroad service. They were the hands down industry leader until they decided that it needed to be an Astro Spectra with the appropriate price hike. That market was lost just as BK is spiraling down in the woodland fire market they once dominated.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Good morning. So I can tell the Group that the BKR9000 is going for testing (FCC) this week. It takes about 2-3 weeks to get the full results. Once again I'll keep the Group advised as soon as I find out the results.

Two months later and still nothing. The FCC sites STILL shows the grants from 2019 when it was initially approved and still no 700. If any dealers are demoing these on systems that utilize 700 MHz, they are putting that systems license in jeopardy.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
The BKR-9000 does in fact do VHF/UHF/700/800/900. Not sure where your getting your info.

900 just vaporized into thin air and its illegal to operate on 700 as of this writing. Not sure where youre getting your info either but this didn't age well at all.

sefrischling

I have again gone back to all the literature I was sent going back to the initial announcement of the BKR9000, in early 2019, and none of the brochures I have indicate 900mhz. Yet here we are, with the radio, as of now on the FCC site, showing VHF, UHF R1, UHF R2, 800mhz, 900mhz ... no 700mhz. That is perplexing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 20.11.22.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 20.11.22.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 26

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I do remember reading early on about it having 900. I was excited about it and hoped it allowed 927 frequencies to be programmed in. Then it seems like with the exception of the FCC showing it passed, it just disappeared. The 900 stuff entered my brain long before the radio had its part 90, so it did not come from that.

Onelick

100 yards west of the east branch of the Antietam
I took a class in January with some people that were pretty high up in the BK food chain. I can't remember their exact titles, but the one was an engineer. When I asked about the progress of the testing, he said the reason it was taking longer than expected was because they were going for Canadian type certification in addition to FCC. For what it's worth.

Onelick

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
A local small dealer keeps preaching 700. But I asked him why he isn't telling pre orders there is no 700 grant yet on them while public safety is buying into his product expecting xyz when our state doesn't authorize bk at least yet.