So is Uniden gonna go head to head with RS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I see where Radio Shack has dropped prices on their digital scanners. Anyone willing to venture a guess if Uniden will follow suit?

kilowa22

Uniden won't, their scanners have many more features then the RS/GRE scanners. Besides with RS on the auction block it may no longer exist by this summer.

jackj

Maybe RS is just clearing out old stock getting ready for new models? Also, they maybe clearing out their warehouse prior to the sale of RS. You know, maximize the profit to generate a higher stock price for the company.

XTS3000

I suspect Uniden will not drop their price on their scanners. With them flying off the shelves at the current price, Uniden would be stupid to reduce the price.

As it stands right now, 996XT's are hard to find either at retail or wholesale.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Uniden won't, their scanners have many more features then the RS/GRE scanners. Besides with RS on the auction block it may no longer exist by this summer.

Let's hope Radio Shack can continue in the capacity that it currently does with scanners. Uniden is a OEM supplier for RadioShack, just as GRE is. It's not a good thing to loose RadioShack scanner business at all, IMHO.

K4APR

I see where Radio Shack has dropped prices on their digital scanners. Anyone willing to venture a guess if Uniden will follow suit?

What prices are you looking at? I just checked the RS site and they still show $499 for both the PRO-106 and the PRO-197.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Check the Kentucky MetroSafe site. There is a screen shot of the Radio Shack web site showing the new prices.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
What feature do you get with a 396 -vs- 106 other than fire page out?

Not to steer this thread anymore towards a GRE vs Uniden Pissing match but some of the features I enjoy in my 396XT that I can't find in GRE radios:
--Small compact size
--GPS integration (have not done as much with this as I want to yet).
--Fire Tone Out
--Band Scope
--Startup Keys
--Quick Talkgroup/Channel recall via System/Channel Number Tagging (example: I hear FD call on PS TAC 17 all I have to do is hit 99.17 Menu and I am parked on PS TAC 17).
--Works great with several different CC Monitoring software packages.
Marshall KE4ZNR

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering on the 396XT -vs- 106. I may buy a XT but struggle with the price. 106 can be had for 399 -FFD around most any holiday.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just wondering on the 396XT -vs- 106. I may buy a XT but struggle with the price. 106 can be had for 399 -FFD around most any holiday.

Just remember that even though the radio itself is $399 you still have to consider buying other accessories that the Uniden models come with inside the box at no additional cost such as AC Adapter, Batteries, Serial PC/Data Cable.
Marshall KE4ZNR

LSEMT219

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

KE4ZNR said:

Just remember that even though the radio itself is $399 you still have to consider buying other accessories that the Uniden models come with inside the box at no additional cost such as AC Adapter, Batteries, Serial PC/Data Cable.
Marshall KE4ZNR

This is exactly what made me buy the 396XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.