So I've been out for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2QI

...actually more like a few years but I finally got around to dusting off my PSR-500. She still works beautifully. I was thinking about buying a PSR-800 for TDMA but have since discovered that GRE America went belly up. Such a shame. Anyway, what's the scoop with Whistler? Did they absorb the GRE America guys? Should I wait to see if they release an 800/900 variant, or go with Uniden's new BCD436HP?

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
I have a PSR-800 as well as a BC396XT here. I just ordered and am receiving today a BC436HP. I haven't seen any detail on forthcoming. In radios from Whistler, but I love the breadth of software and support for and from Uniden. Aside from UPman in product management being available and forthcoming, the fact that in addition to Uniden Sentinel it looks like, just as there was for the 396T/396XT, there will be software from Butel, FreeScan and others to support it.
The ecosystem of support and accessories drove me to buy the next Gen of Uniden.... And I imagine I will end up with a 536 as well once the Wi-Fi app is available.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

K2QI

Well I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the 436HP once you receive it. If you could provide a comparison against the PSR-800 particularly as to how they both perform when it comes to TDMA and P25 phase II trunking systems, I'd be most obliged.

N8IAA

Well I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the 436HP once you receive it. If you could provide a comparison against the PSR-800 particularly as to how they both perform when it comes to TDMA and P25 phase II trunking systems, I'd be most obliged.

James, to see that all there is at this time about 436HP, check out the Uniden forum.
One question to ask yourself, since you already have the PSR-500, do you need to have a scanner that is Phase II capable? Everyone on RR seems to be gaga over the new scanners. I would wait at least six months until all the early adopters have found all the bugs for Uniden to fix.
You may want to go to the PA state forum, and read the posts about the new system being built out.
HTH,
Larry

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Whistler is on the move. Whistler Group - Whistler Group | Catalog | Scanners

They will be ready for some of their scanners to come out around March 2014. They have two models showing on their site now. More to come we all hope.

These are just basic scanners for now, they have NOT mentioned anything as to a PSR-800 or 900......we will all be waiting for this information to come.

Like what was mentioned. If you do not have the need for Phase 2 then stick to your current scanner. Go through the listings for your area and see if there is a need for the new unit(s) now of maybe in the future.

Good place to get information on your area can be found here:
Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.