• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So My DM-5R Came Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Sounds like there is a privacy key set up on the Baofeng when the receiving radio actually picked something up. The garbled audio is typical ofthe sound you hear when some kind of encryption is turned on and both radios do not have the same key.

Listening to the output in FM analog mode, it sounds like the Baofeng is broadcasting on both time slots, rather than only one. That's why the TYT sounds choppy--you can hear the TX turning on and off every 33ms or so, while the Baofeng TX is continuous.

WPXS472

Very interesting! There is another video, in French, where it seems the DM-5R doesn't communicate with another DMR radio. Has anyone tried 2 DM-5Rs to see if they talk to each other? Looks like Baofeng didn't do their homework before announcing these as being for sale. I ordered one, but it is supposed to arrive tier 2 compatible. I am beginning to wonder if it will even arrive at all. I only want to monitor some DMR systems, so as long as it receives OK, I'll be satisfied.

djg320

Premium Subscriber
I'll be keeping an eye on this, very interested! There are a couple of DMR systems around here I'd love to listen to.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I'm still patiently awaiting mine to be delivered. I chose to have them hold shipment until Tier2 is installed and working.

I'm somewhat bemused by the fact that the fellow doing the videos doesn't seem to understand that Tier1 is totally incompatible with Tier2

K2GOG

So here are some "under the hood" photos of the new Baofeng DM-5R.

Some notes:

k2gog-albums-k2gog-forum-photos-picture4499-inside-baofeng-dm-5r-note-date-production-compared-release-date-purchase.jpg

Notice the date of production compared to when this radio became available for pre-order and when they actually starting shipping.

k2gog-albums-k2gog-forum-photos-picture4500-inside-baofeng-dm-5r-under-display-encapsulated-lcd-driver-had-really-careful-about-getting-display-contacts-sit-just-right-so-display-functioned-again-after-reassembly.jpg

Display driver under the LCD unit. If you attempt to disassemble your radio, be very careful to seat the conductive strip connectors so your display works after you put it back together. It took my some trial and error.

k2gog-albums-k2gog-forum-photos-picture4501-inside-baofeng-dm-5r-backside-heat-spreader-removed-not-much-magic-clearly-software-radio-all-other-baofeng-radios.jpg

Perhaps this is the "money" shot. After all, this is a software defined radio and the magic is within the programming of the main chip to make the DMR work and to support future upgrades.

Last edited:

alex5774

Supports Digital & Analogue Mode:
As a radio operating under DMR system, Baofeng
DM-5R is perfectly compatible with both digital and analogue mode. It can smoothly turn from one into the other. Order today and receive a DM-5R with MOTOTRBO Tier I. DM-5R’s with Tier I can communicate clearly and easily with other DM-5Rs, as well as communicating with other two-way radios on the UHF and VHF frequencies. [highlight](Not compatible with HTY & Motorola) Therefore, we highly recommend you to get more DM-5R by PAIRS for better using experience.[/highlight]

I'm seeing this on radioddity and other sellers (ebay, aliexpress, etc.). Has anyone successfully applied the Tier II update yet? I wonder if this radio supports TDMA at all.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
DM-5R is perfectly compatible with both digital and analogue mode. It can smoothly turn from one into the other.
From the videos I've see thus far, the radio reboots when switching between analog and digital modes, which essentially renders it useless for my needs...

...since I need to monitor/scan both digital and analog repeaters simultaneously, which every other DMR radio I have does seamlessly! :(

WPXS472

If it won't receive MOTOTRBO, I have no use for it. If that is the case, I will attempt to return it, when it comes.

K4IVE

DM-5R Tier 2 update completed!

Howdy All,

I have successfully updated my DM-5R to Tier 2 via a slightly confusing email exchange with Radioddity.com...

The radio does transmit and receive on slot 1 and 2, but I have not gotten the audio to come through when connecting to my DV4Mini. There are no DMR repeaters in my area, so I have no other way to connect.

The codeplug programming is straightforward and easy, but getting the specific information for my connection is nowhere to be found. I have tried to tap into the MD380/390 way of doing thing, but there is not much info out there...

I am sure I will get it figured out soon. These radios are still new and very few are out in the wild.

Hopefully, I'll hear from someone who has gotten theirs to work!

Kevin

Golay

Baofeng-DM-5R

From what I'm reading (and it may of been mentioned already) the radio is Tier I. An upcoming software upgrade for $10 will make it Tier II. I agree with those who already said "Ship mine when the software's updated".

My questions to those who already have one are:
1. Is there an "on the fly" nuisance delete button while scanning, like other DMR radios have?
2. Does this radio scan as S-L-O-W as a UV-5R?
Quite frankly, no matter how what the cost, if the scan rate is as slow as the UV-5R, that's enough for me to say nah, and I'm sure many who have or had a UV-5R agree with me.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
2. Does this radio scan as S-L-O-W as a UV-5R?
One of the features of DMR is that when "scanning" the radio is scanning for TalkGroups (TGs), not frequencies. Actually, it doesn't really "scan" at all, it's simply waiting on the repeater's frequency looking for any TG that is programmed.

On the other hand, since apparently it has to be re-booted when switching from DMR to analog mode*, I would suspect that scanning of analog frequencies will be about the same as the UV-5R et alia. :(

* Note that MD-380, and other DMR radios will scan both DMR repeater TGs and analog repeaters at the same time.

giqcass

One of the features of DMR is that when "scanning" the radio is scanning for TalkGroups (TGs), not frequencies. Actually, it doesn't really "scan" at all, it's simply waiting on the repeater's frequency looking for any TG that is programmed.

I disagree. The MD-380 can scan multiple DMR frequencies. I have multiple DMR repeaters around here so I am Scanning Time Slots/Talk Groups and different frequencies.

Howdy All,

I have successfully updated my DM-5R to Tier 2 via a slightly confusing email exchange with Radioddity.com...

The radio does transmit and receive on slot 1 and 2, but I have not gotten the audio to come through when connecting to my DV4Mini. There are no DMR repeaters in my area, so I have no other way to connect.

The codeplug programming is straightforward and easy, but getting the specific information for my connection is nowhere to be found. I have tried to tap into the MD380/390 way of doing thing, but there is not much info out there...

I am sure I will get it figured out soon. These radios are still new and very few are out in the wild.

Hopefully, I'll hear from someone who has gotten theirs to work!

Kevin
I was told that the Openspot required a codec update to operate with the DM-5R and then they work together reliably but with poor audio quality. I don't know if the DV4mini requires a codec update.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

False. When you set up a scanlist, it can include multiple digital and analog channels. Digital channels can have RX Group Lists attached to them, which can contain multiple talkgroups, so when the scan hits that channel, traffic on any talkgroup in the RX Group List will pause the scan and unmute the radio. You can scan any mix of digital and analog channels while you have a digital or analog channel selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.