• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So My DM-5R Came Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPXS472

Well, mine came today. It says DM-5R Plus. I don't know what the "Plus" is. So far, I find it annoying because you have to use the software to program the DMR stuff. I haven't found my programming cable yet, and I am not sure if I have the correct software for it or not. They really should include a CD with it. I seem to remember someone saying that when you go from a digital channel to an analog one, it does a reset. Mine doesn't seem to do that. Of course I just managed to somehow get the "D"to appear indicating a digital channel. I have yet to program the important stuff, but I can switch back and forth between analog and what it seems to indicate is a digital channel with ease. I put in the local Sheriff's frequency and heard nothing, but maybe I didn't listen long enough. I suspect that since I didn't use the software to enter slot number and color, I am not really monitoring in DMR mode. I will post results when I know more.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I got mine a few days ago. I had already downloaded the software and tried to program the DM-5R Plus...

It will not even save the entered data to file, much less properly program the radio!

For that matter, I cannot even program an analog frequency from the front panel... :roll:

WPXS472

I downloaded the software and installed it, but it doesn't work with the radio. It keeps timing out. The USB driver seems OK. I even put the local analog State Trooper frequency in it and didn't hear anything even after hours of listening. There is a tutorial on the software on Youtube. Since it won't read the radio, I could never even get to the starting point of the tutorial. I had somewhat the same issues with the UV5-R. I did get it to work with chirp, but that doesn't work for the DM-5R.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's likely a cable problem, not a radio problem. Get one with a FTDI chip, not the fake Prolific chip.

WPXS472

It worked with the UV5-R, so I don't think it is a cable problem. I had one of those Alinco 900 MHz HTs and could never get it to program. I tried several cables before selling it. I believe I have another cable somewhere I want to try before throwing up my hands with this.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
That's likely a cable problem, not a radio problem. Get one with a FTDI chip, not the fake Prolific chip.

I have three of them with the FTDI chip and all three work just fine. The problem I have is that the darn radio simply will not accept any of the programming parameters.

In fact, after entering my DMR ID# and doing a Save to file, when reading the saved file the ID# has reverted to 1 and not my full, seven digit ID#... :roll:

KD8DVR

More and more, I think this radio is a dog.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

WPXS472

I am beginning to agree with you. I did finally get the software to see the radio. On my XP pc, I had to reset the com port number from 6 to 1 before it would work. Took it to work where I have Windows 8.1 and discovered the "Prolific" problem. The driver installed just fine but the USB to serial converter showed a "Driver Problem". After some time investigating on the web, I managed to install an older version. But, the software wouldn't work with the com port set to com 3. Windows 8.1 will not let me reset the com port, no matter what work around I try. I have run into this kind of thing with 8.1 before and have yet to successfully fix it. I did figure out how to change the slot and color code from the front panel. I tried numerous combinations while attempting to listen to a local business. I could find no combination of slot and color code that worked, though I might not have tried them all yet. I think there must be some other setting that is preventing me from hearing DMR. I find the software very confusing. There are check boxes whose function I don't know and have yet to find an explanation for. I listened to it on transmit and it sure sounds different to the local business using TRBO. I suspect it is transmitting in both time slots, as mentioned before. I don't care about transmitting though, so no big deal. I put in the local State Trooper frequency and when I enable receive CTCSS, it "spits" at random, making bursts of squelch noise. I tightened up the squelch setting, but that didn't help. I think the CTCSS decoder is falsing because it doesn't do it in carrier squelch mode. If the Chinese are going to make programmable radios, I wish they would follow the look and feel of something like the older Yaesu's like the FT10, or FT51, something you could figure out in a few minutes on your own. I bought this radio because it was cheap. Seems sometimes you actually get what you pay for. I haven't given up just yet, but so far, this radio has given me little reason to like it.

giqcass

I didn't see you mention talkgroups. Did you set a talk group? That is very important. CTSS has nothing to do with DMR. DMR uses Color codes instead of CTCSS. Throw out some of the settings you don't understand here on the forum or in a PM and I'll try to help.

To listen you need at minimum.
*Frequency
*Color Code
*Talk Group

Remember digital is narrow band.

WPXS472

Yeah, that about the CTCSS decoder falsing was to illustrate how squirrely the thing is. I am going to do the same thing with the UV5 to see if it is common to Baofengs. That little problem would seriously limit its usefulness in analog mode if DMR doesn't work out. I didn't set a talk group. I can program a different channel with the same frequency but different color code, but I understand there are bunches of talk groups. I was trying to listen to that local business just to see if I could get it going. What I really want to monitor is our local Sheriff's department. I don't know of anywhere I can find which slot, color code, and talk group they are using. Is there such a thing as promiscuous mode where I can hear any color code, or talk group?

giqcass

Yeah, that about the CTCSS decoder falsing was to illustrate how squirrely the thing is. I am going to do the same thing with the UV5 to see if it is common to Baofengs. That little problem would seriously limit its usefulness in analog mode if DMR doesn't work out. I didn't set a talk group. I can program a different channel with the same frequency but different color code, but I understand there are bunches of talk groups. I was trying to listen to that local business just to see if I could get it going. What I really want to monitor is our local Sheriff's department. I don't know of anywhere I can find which slot, color code, and talk group they are using. Is there such a thing as promiscuous mode where I can hear any color code, or talk group?

There is no promiscuous mode for this radio and I'm not expecting anyone to do much with this radio because it isn't popular enough. I have gotten lucky and found websites that include Color Codeds and talkgroups in the past but that information can be hard to find.

If you can't find it listed anywhere The cheapest way to figure this stuff out is with an SDR dongle. Here is where someone else ask a similar question.
http://forums.radioreference.com/industry-discussion/290904-determining-dmr-info-monitoring.html

EDIT:
It seems to me 20, 10, 11, and 1 are commonly use talkgroups. You could try those with timeslot 1 and different color codes. Once you figure out the color code that should be the color code used for the whole system unless they have multiple repeaters. Then you could play around with slot 2. It would be a time consuming way to figure out the system.

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Using the programming software, I was finally able to program several analog repeater pairs, as well as several simplex analog frequencies.

DMR on the other hand simply will not work at all. Period. Accordingly, here is my note to the vendor, Radioddity.com requesting a full refund for this POS.

This radio was shipped to me after having twice requested a full refund long before shipment was made:
1) Refund request 10/23/2016
2) Refund request 10/31/2016

Both times the request was ignored by support@radiooddity.com

Although the radio will work normally in analog mode, the DMR mode does not work at all. Even after programming correctly, the radio completely fails to connect.

I have five other DMR radios (CS-800 x2, Motorola XPR7550, MD-380 x2, all of which work perfectly. I have five DMR repeaters locally; one VHF and the other four UHF.
Please process a refund before I have to escalate this to a PayPal Dispute.

giqcass

Using the programming software, I was finally able to program several analog repeater pairs, as well as several simplex analog frequencies.

DMR on the other hand simply will not work at all. Period. Accordingly, here is my note to the vendor, Radioddity.com requesting a full refund for this POS.
I know there are issues with repeaters and transmitting but I'm curious if it was able to receive and if you are on the new firmware?

KD8DVR

I'm waiting for enough word to spread that this radio is a dog, and they unload them on some closeout site. Then I can buy a couple and use them on my simplex Echolink node. That is, provided, they will even do Tier 2 properly.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

Gyuri961012

Hi Everyone
If someone looking for Baofeng DM-5R upgrade files like " Hrvocoder Encryption.exe " or " V20160912-AMBE.bin " then here you can download all files for upgrade.(Thanks for HamRadioReviews for upload them)
DM-5R Upgrades
So what i still don't understand is that what does the "Key Value" means in the excel file. Is it some identification number generated from CPU ID for other DMR radios like Motorola?
What happens if i upgrade my Baofeng DM-5R radio with another key or an custom key with same length?
This Key Value is from HamRadioReviews DM-5R Upgrade YouTube video what he got from radioddity to upgrade his DM-5r radio.
Can I brick the radio if I upgrade with another key value than generated by CPU ID of my radio?(I mean bought from radioddity.com)
If someone tried it then pls reply.
Sorry for my bad English.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I know there are issues with repeaters and transmitting but I'm curious if it was able to receive and if you are on the new firmware?
No, it never received anything at all. Yes, it came with the new firmware already installed.

The main problem isn't with firmware; it is the absence of suitable hardware!

mescalero

DM5R vs Plus

Greetings to all!
I wanted to ask concerns the DM5R * * Plus if someone managed to receive VHF DMR because I'm trying but despite robust signal and parameters of the net entered and rechecked does not open and you do not hear anything
UHF works
Precise details will only be used only at receiver NO transmission
Also if you know the version * * Plus is updtate of DM5R??
Tks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.