So, the BIG 'new Beast' from AOR is finally available

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYG

AOR must be crazy to charge this money for a desktop receiver. Even when it has superior receive (we will see), the design and display looks like from late 90s... I would expect something with graphics scope similar to IC-R8600.
I will pass on this one.

You aren't far off. It looks like the AR-5000+3 i had over a decade or two ago. At this point in time I would have expected at least some of the display technology from the Alpha series to trickle down a bit into the newer AR5XXX series of receivers. I'm fairly confident the performance will be great but for that much money a face lift with further usability enhancements from the front panel kinda seems like a no brainer.

KM6CQ

It is a very expensive radio. It is new and unproven. Since it has no history we don’t know anything about it other then the advertisements, and how great AOR proclaims it to be, and that’s fine. We do know AOR did not provide effective support to their customers that purchased a DV-10. It would be good to do a search on the DV-10 and learn everything you can. This way you will know what to expect when factory support is needed.
My simple take on it is, there is no spectrum display/ waterfall. It looks like something they have been making for 20 years however, I like that it decodes DMR, Fusion and D-Star.

thevig

AOR must be crazy to charge this money for a desktop receiver. Even when it has superior receive (we will see), the design and display looks like from late 90s... I would expect something with graphics scope similar to IC-R8600.
I will pass on this one.

Oh don't worry. AOR will come out with an add-on scope for $5000 USD. :p

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
AOR is still iving in the past. They haven't made a decent receiver since the AR-8600 which explains why it's still available for sale.

Xray

Obviously not aimed at the consumer market, I'd be surprised if they sell 3 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.