• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So, the MD380?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBall517

Is it actually worth it?

I've seen that it could accept modified software. Does this allow for any more digital modes? I'm excited to get one, I've also noticed the newer model of this radio. Can it accept mod firmware as well? Is this dual band? I hate to be lazy because Google never works for me at work, its blocked. However this site isn't.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's DMR Tier I and II, even with the "aftermarket" firmware. The same is true of the MD-390.

None of the TYT radios are dual-band.

The main difference between the 390 and 380 is the 390 has an IP67 waterproof case, and can be had with an internal GPS. The 380 has a less robust case but very similar internal guts.

FireBall517

I would like to get one because I know we have a few businesses around that utilize DMR, specifically our utility board. I believe we have a few DMR repeaters, but I would probably need an amp or a Yagi to reach them.

Other than that, our area has D-Star or Fusion. I'd like a P25 cheapie like this radio.

ArtU

Is TDMA {DMR 4fsk} somehow different on amps then FDMA {Fusion 4fsk}? Fusion repeaters do not need any special amps. The repeater amp is expensive because it must hold up to 100% duty cycle, where home amps do not, just need to run lower duty cycles. Also DMR commercial amps must hold up to expensive interference standards as MotoTurbo is one of the large causes of inter-mod in the City Inter-mod ally even with their increased filters...

The HD TV revolution had folks selling special HD antennas when old fashioned ones work even better, the RF part is RF. The Amp sees 9600 baud FM modulated RF on digital modes.

Art

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly, repeater amps don't need to be special.. but subscriber radios would have to have special fast switching amplifiers.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

ArtU

Thank You, that makes since perfectly on the subscribers portables. Thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.