• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So there I was….

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I stopped by the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to visit with an old friend who's working there. As I was walking around, I find this little gem sitting on a window sill.

Perfect solution. I think it's an old Chevy hubcap, but I could be wrong. I know I have a similar hubcap hanging in my garage.
Anyway, beautiful in it's simplicity.

TKONXED.jpg

rescuecomm

Too bad most of that stuff is plastic nowadays. Come to think of it, I have an 1970 Ford Custom aluminum hubcap in the shop. Doesn't have to be steel does it!?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Too bad most of that stuff is plastic nowadays. Come to think of it, I have an 1970 Ford Custom aluminum hubcap in the shop. Doesn't have to be steel does it!?
No, it does not have to be steel. Conductive metals are the answer, and since must of us do not have silver and gold laying about, copper, aluminum, brass, iron, steel and lead work. Even stainless steel will work, but it is easy enough to find copper and aluminum. Some experienced people on these forums advised that aluminum tape, for example over or under fiberglass, also helps with an antenna mounted above it. Four or more radials with the appropriate length for the frequency is prudent.

P.S. Flat/horizontal radials are greater than sloping. Still, something is better than nothing and more is better. Test an antenna on top of a vehicle roof to a set location. Then pull into a parking stall with vehicles next to you and enjoy the upgrade. The same with using a handheld in your hand versus holding it on the roof of your vehicle. The middle is best or you will have improved TX/RX in the direction of the most conductive metal.

jhooten

The hubcap on the original post is a Baby Moon type. Very popular "back in the day".

In my beer drinking days I bought the 5L mini kegs like this:
20200621095122_48388.jpg

The hole in the top for the pump is close enough to the right size for a NMO mount. Pulled the spout to route the cable through. If I put one on my table at the swap meet it was always the first thing sold.

You folks need some red neck lernin.
As long as it's a werkin it be OK.
Off to a fe.ily get together.
My kusin is single now .
Kewlers, bud lite and camel cicretts.
Damn that girls hot hot hot.🤪

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Coffee can (or big restaurant-size canned goods can) probably works nice for UHF and up, too.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I stopped by the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to visit with an old friend who's working there. As I was walking around, I find this little gem sitting on a window sill.

Perfect solution. I think it's an old Chevy hubcap, but I could be wrong. I know I have a similar hubcap hanging in my garage.
Anyway, beautiful in it's simplicity.

TKONXED.jpg
Unless you also remember party lines and throttle & choke knobs on cars, you won't remember that that's a baby moon hubcap.

Status
Not open for further replies.