• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

So we have a mouse in our house..

Status
Not open for further replies.

vs1988

..actually, in the garage. And I'm guessing that there's probably much more than one.

We have a carpetted bench in our garage that we store crates, boxes and other stuff on. My mom keeps boxed and canned foods on that bench. We moved some stuff and found a ton of mouse droppings. Since my mom is scared of mice, I'm the one who will clean up the mess and hunt down the critters.

I cleaned up the mouse droppings with gloves and clorox wipes; only to later find out that you have to wet them down with disinfectant first or risk stirring up hantavirus or other nasty pathogens into the air. Think the wet wipes themselves were sufficient in not stirring up anything?

Also, anyone deal with a rodent infestation before that has any advice? I went out to the hardware store and bought six woodne snap traps, and a container of poison bait. I figured I'd try to trap a few first, then take out the remaining with the poisoned bait. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Vince

K9GTJ

There is no hope so sell the house.

j/k

In a garage, the might be able to get in under or around the door. Out first year, we had 2 mice and I got some new doors that were HD steel on both sides and such and no more mice.

Usually they like to run along the edges so sticky traps work better than snap traps. I had a mouse eat the cheese/peanut butter off the snap trap and it never go off.

Finally, a nice kitty will do the job. ;)

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i`ve been in a battle for 2yrs with fruit rats. the guy next to my house is a scum bad he leaves all the dead citrus laying on the ground from the trees. i went through critter control and they safe proofed the house only to find a year later the little bastards found another way in the attic. my suggestion is find a control company.. wood traps are a mess i dunno if you ever seen what it does to a rat or mouse but i assure you will be cleaning a bigger mess than mouse droppings. as for poison i hope you dont have any house hold pets such as a dog or cat because if they get a hold of a poisoned mouse you will have a big vet bill if not a dead beloved pet. i kinda learned to live with the problem my dog lately has caught 3 in the back yard. they arent coming in the house and no matter what i do until this jackass decides not to be white trash anymore the problem will remain no matter what i do..

kirka127

I myself have used the snap traps and they worked great for me. Yes a little messy but it got rid of the mice for me. good luck.
Kirk

EJB

I once lived in a mouse infested apartment complex.
We had upwards of 4-6 mice per day.
Here is my advice: Get humane traps (you can re-use them again and again) which allow you to catch up to four at a time.
Use peanut butter, mices really dig that stuff.
If that fails they hate cats.
I have 5 FIVE, FIVE!!! cats and have never had a mouse since (at the time in the mouse-infested place we had no cats).

Premium Subscriber
re: kill it with fire

That's great,:lol: :lol: :lol: , I agree with the snap traps and peanut butter, the cat is the best idea , instant mouse slayer, go down to your local animal shelter and save a couple cats and kill all your mice !!!

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi VS and all,

Will you guys get SERIOUS? This is a serious problem and a nuke isn't the solution, too much colateral damage and radioactive mouse poop fallout.

I say serious because I have seen such damage the house was condemned and demolished. OK, whatever you do, DON'T use poison bait, dead mice in walls and floors stink and present yet another health hazard. Baited traps that retain the corpses and those famous glue foot trays must be placed along the walls where they travel and in places where they seek food and water. Placed willy-nilly you won't catch a thing so think like a mouse.

Yup, cleaning up the infestation falls to you, a dead mouse is even scarier to one afraid of live ones and they're "icky" so mom won't touch the traps even if she loved mice to begin with. It'll take time, maybe even a couple of months if you have a family matter and considering how fast they breed you undoubtedly do. If worse comes to worst call a professional exterminator, any sort of infestation is a lot more than a mere nuisance.

And THIS shows up on a scanner web site? (;->) OK mice...

Last edited:

jimyleg

Kitty-Pride

I too vote for a cat. I had a dog my whole life and one day my mom got a cat... After he grew a little bit he is the fastes thing on 4 legs i'v ever seen. I think just having a cat around will solve your problems.

now you might say to yourself... Isnt there somthing else i can do?
No, aside from pest control services that cost you major dollars or a cat there isn't much you can do. It think everbody needs a little kitty pride.

SCPD

If you already have a cat that might not regularly go into the garage don't use poison.
You already know where the mice like to hang out as you found their DNA there. Bait the traps with peanut butter. Don't put a giant lump of it. There is normally a hole/tube on the bait trigger of the trap. Fill that with the PB and set the traps. Keep on top of keeping them emptied and reloaded. Usually by the time you see the evidence there can be upwards of a couple hundred or more mice that you don't see. It is a long process but stick with it and happy hunting.

RISC777

Many good ideas have been presented, but let's not leave out the one family pet not mentioned yet. For those of us that enjoy keeping reptiles as pets they can do as well as or better than domestic felines.

Never mix the two, though. Bad combination.

If one has for instance a 6' 4" Columbian boa and a 4' Dumeril's boa, you won't have mouse or rat problems. I promise.

Attachments

flyingwolf

I just moved into a new house and found a few droppings on the kitchen counter, little lysol and then cleaned up up and started looking for al possible ways to get on the couter, the only answer was it had to be comming in through the stove and lo and behold I open the stove up, and there is mouse droppings all over the underside of the burners. And little scratches where the mouse climbs in through.

So I got ot thinking that evening. Sealed off the stove from any possible exit and set traps up at al exit points on top of the stove.

Turned the stove on to self cleaning (about 500 degrees) and waited, 19 minutes later, SNAP!, one dead mouse, SNAP SNAP, two more. All gone. Seems every damn one was male and they had never gotten a female into their bachelor pad.

Took care of the mice quick.

cristisphoto

Awwww

AWWW now!!
Just name them and call them your pets

IN my building we have BED BUGS,,
I just name em

Now Roaches I would kill without mercy....
Nor patience ..
BUt they Aint that bad..

Not to be tree hugger buuuttt
Ultiamtky they will win
and if can't beat em join em riiiiight LOL

Crista

SCPD

flyingwolf said:
I just moved into a new house and found a few droppings on the kitchen counter, little lysol and then cleaned up up and started looking for al possible ways to get on the couter, the only answer was it had to be comming in through the stove and lo and behold I open the stove up, and there is mouse droppings all over the underside of the burners. And little scratches where the mouse climbs in through.

So I got ot thinking that evening. Sealed off the stove from any possible exit and set traps up at al exit points on top of the stove.

Turned the stove on to self cleaning (about 500 degrees) and waited, 19 minutes later, SNAP!, one dead mouse, SNAP SNAP, two more. All gone. Seems every damn one was male and they had never gotten a female into their bachelor pad.

Took care of the mice quick.
Brokeback mousens??

CVPI4Ever

Have the fire department come burn your place down for training. Not only will you get rid of your problem but you will be doing your community a service by better training the firefighters...lol j/k

I would think the poison traps would work well. Good luck!

I_10_92

I vote for the cat. However, in light of all the suggestions of 'cooking' or 'nuking' or 'burning' the mice... i say do something cool. i.e Fire extinguisher, sit and wait, and BAM freeze the buggers.. then scoop'em up and then dispose of them accordingly.

Or...

Seriously though, just use the humane traps... no mess, they just get stuck in a little box, and then you can set them free or do as you please with them. I dont have mice, the cats do a most excellent job of keeping the house mouse free.

Good luck!

MacombMonitor

A cat will definitely solve the problem. Not only will the cat get rid of them, the smell of a cat will keep them away. If you don't want a cat, get some dirty cat litter from a neighbor, sprinkle a little around the outside of the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.