• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So what exactly happened to the trunking firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio3353

Sadly, I was once an enthusiastic fan of Unication. While I still very much like and use my G5, I have soured on the company for their lack of response in the past year or so to problems and suggestions. I know, let's just blame it on Covid :rolleyes:

llzel

Premium Subscriber
Sadly, I was once an enthusiastic fan of Unication. While I still very much like and use my G5, I have soured on the company for their lack of response in the past year or so to problems and suggestions. I know, let's just blame it on Covid :rolleyes:
They responded quickly in modifying the firmware to fix a glitch I and others were having.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I know I read of several users that downgraded successfully, disregarding the Unication warning not to. But I have not heard of anyone that has tried it with negative results. Has anyone here "downgraded" to the latest 1.31 with negative or catastrophic results?
Just my uneducated opinion, but it feels to me Unication used us as guinea pigs to test out the scan feature so they can implement it into their "new scanner" that is on their website. There hasn't been a firmware upgrade since December 2020, and they promised me a fix for my $150 Amplified charger back in November 2020. Haven't heard a peep.

I downgraded my G5 to the latest non-beta (pretty sure 1.31) just fine. Didn't have any problems, but YMMV.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Modern radios cannot *PROPERLY* scan between systems or conventional. It is a hardware issue, and one that would require a completely separate tuner.

While scanning the alternate system or conventional system critical traffic is going to be missed on the primary / priority system which is a deal-breaker for the industry which these devices are intended for.

I concur with GTR8000; the feature should at least be there.

You are correct in that traffic can be missed when scanning between trunked and conventional, but that choice should be left up to the owner. I have quite a few county public safety users here who want to be able to scan between trunked and conventional, and while I caution against it, it's their radio and if they want it they'll get it, whether I do the programming or some other shop does it.

mdsxfire

EDBM
Just my 2c, I was testing the 1.4 f/w and used it for a few weeks. The time it took to scan between trunked systems and acquire the CC was way to long. If I caught any transmissions it was always the very end then it would switch systems and I would miss the rest anyway.

I downgraded to 1.3 and have since upgraded to 1.32 and have notice no issues.

unication worked very quickly with myself and a few others who were having issues with specific systems, within days of sending them my log files they sent me an updatedF/W that fixed the issue. While I think unication could make the best scanner in the market they make pagers right now, and from 3 years of usage as my primary pager it works perfect.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I concur with GTR8000; the feature should at least be there.

You are correct in that traffic can be missed when scanning between trunked and conventional, but that choice should be left up to the owner. I have quite a few county public safety users here who want to be able to scan between trunked and conventional, and while I caution against it, it's their radio and if they want it they'll get it, whether I do the programming or some other shop does it.

Given that we are in the middle of a transition from Analog conventional to P25T P2, I would *LOVE* that functionality. We are P25T as well as law enforcement, but fire is not and a couple neighboring counties are not on the new system either.

But with the hardware limitations, it isn't feasible as things start to get missed pretty quickly.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
"I can't admit I was wrong, so I'm going to come up with some other BS"
Well, since I'm not wrong...

It doesn't work for people who need the radios. It's okay for scanning or monitoring, but doesn't work for the people you're monitoring... Since the G5 is designed and mainly marketed as a pager as opposed to a scanner, the functionality should mimic what the served agencies require.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Well, since I'm not wrong...

It doesn't work for people who need the radios. It's okay for scanning or monitoring, but doesn't work for the people you're monitoring... Since the G5 is designed and mainly marketed as a pager as opposed to a scanner, the functionality should mimic what the served agencies require.

But you were proven wrong..

Bro, its okay to be wrong every once and awhile. No one person can know everything. Try it out, I think you'll sleep much better at night.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
NO we have no NDA.
I can say very recent info from them they are working on the scanner NOW and I was told hardware is ready for scanner and they are working on the software.
When I have more I will post.

To be CLEAR this is a NEW Unication Product a scanner.

im assuming that the testers are under some sort of Non Disclosure, but yeah it kinda fell off the map, disappointing

Last edited:

12dbsinad

Our state police agency ended up installing Kenwood mobile radio's to scan conventional channels. The issue is priority. Even though it can be done, it isn't practical. There is a big difference between scanner hobbyist and actual public service in regards to scanning and the expectations.

seth21w

NO we have no NDA.
I can say very recent info from them they are working on the scanner NOW and I was told hardware is ready for scanner and they are working on the software.

Yeah but why would we buy another 600 dollar radio that is the same exact radio just for scan feature when we already know the one we have now is capable?

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
we just have to wait on it. current g 4 and g5 are pagers not scanners.
the new g scanner i expert to perform more like the sds models.
we will know soon i am told.

Yeah but why would we buy another 600 dollar radio that is the same exact radio just for scan feature when we already know the one we have now is capable?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Well, no one says you have to buy one. But if you're now primarily using your Gx as a scanner, there may be performance improvements via hardware changes that will make a Unication scanner attractive to many current owners. That, and don't forget the huge segment of the scanner user population that don't now own a G-series.

seth21w

Well, no one says you have to buy one. But if you're now primarily using your Gx as a scanner, there may be performance improvements via hardware changes that will make a Unication scanner attractive to many current owners. That, and don't forget the huge segment of the scanner user population that don't now own a G-series.
I have an sds100 and a g4 I'm not interested in buying another scanner. I simply would like to have 2 systems programmed into my g4 im sure the hardware internally will be similar to the g4.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I cant promise I will even get an answer however I did just ask if they would consider opening up the beta firmware to all so they can scan multi systems.
Does the beta work yes it will scan multi knob pos that are trunked systems.

Does it work as well as the sds scanners NO.

I post if I get an answer.

QUOTE="seth21w, post: 3536622, member: 287356"]
I have an sds100 and a g4 I'm not interested in buying another scanner. I simply would like to have 2 systems programmed into my g4 im sure the hardware internally will be similar to the g4.
[/QUOTE]

radio3353

NO we have no NDA.

trido,
Do you know if the expectant scanner design is base or portable (or maybe one of each)? Thanks.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Our state police agency ended up installing Kenwood mobile radio's to scan conventional channels. The issue is priority. Even though it can be done, it isn't practical. There is a big difference between scanner hobbyist and actual public service in regards to scanning and the expectations.

Because multi-system scan doesn't work reliably or have the ability to properly work as a radio when scanning.

That's the point I'm trying to get across, but others seem to just fold their arms and say "NUH-UH"

I think others have forgotten that Unication pagers are *Pagers* intended for public service use... They're not a scanner, but have some similar functionality. Sure, Unication is hoping to expand on that somewhat, but at the end of the day, the hardware was intended to be a pager, not a scanner.

12dbsinad

Because multi-system scan doesn't work reliably or have the ability to properly work as a radio when scanning.

That's the point I'm trying to get across, but others seem to just fold their arms and say "NUH-UH"

I think others have forgotten that Unication pagers are *Pagers* intended for public service use... They're not a scanner, but have some similar functionality. Sure, Unication is hoping to expand on that somewhat, but at the end of the day, the hardware was intended to be a pager, not a scanner.
Unication is going to develop and spend time to R&D things that are going to benefit them profit wise. It's doubtful the scanner hobbyist are lucrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.