So what is there to listen to on shortwave these days? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedmaster

Back in the early 80s I would listen to Radio Moscow, the BBC, Voice of America, and a handful of other things on my cheap shortwave receivers.

I'm sure (assuming?) the shortwave world has changed quite a bit in 30 years.

What's good to listen to now? Anything off the beaten path? Pirate radio? What else?

Stuff like this fascinates me:
Inside the Russian Short Wave Radio Enigma | Magazine | Wired.com

I think I have a Sangean receiver I can get going again. ;-)

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

SDavis90

Pirate radio for sure. I routinely pick up Radio Havana out of Cuba...and news out of China. These come in pretty strong where I live, and their english is better than most of the rednecks that live around here. BBC and the usual are still there.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While pirates are certainly a possibility, there are many other things to hear, depending on your interests. With the big boys scaling back or leaving shortwave altogether, sometimes that opens up opportunities to hear things that might otherwise be covered up.

Hopefully that Sangean has a BFO and is nice and stable - a pirate known as Wolverine Radio typically sends slow scan TV pix at the end of their broadcasts...

Apart from numbers stations, what are your interests, Chris? best regards..Mike

k9rzz

Just as if you hadn't watched TV for 30 years, there's still stuff to watch, but the programs are all different. :^)

(Why can't we have smilies on this board?)

ridgescan

To answer the OP's question, all you need to do is set and watch all the discoveries posting in these HF forums every day-especially the "Utilities" forum. Set up that SW radio with a good antenna and come join us:)

AC9BX

If you're fanatical religious and/or think there's a grand conspiracy to control the world and spy helicopters are following you personally there's unlimited programming on shortwave for you.

I like some programs on WBCQ, news from China Radio International and Cuba, and pirates. There's quite a number of unlicensed operators out there with some interesting programming. It's mostly just music but you'll hear fun stuff too. The fun of shortwave is the struggle of trying to get that weak station and with the pirates the challenge can be exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.