So what's the latest in affordable 2M/440 handheld Transceivers? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedmaster

I remember that last summer the Wouxun models got pretty popular. What's the latest from them? Any other new competitors in that price range?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

n5ims

This (Wouxun KG-UVD1P - KG-UV2D - KG-UV6D - KG-UV920R Mobile Transceiver) should have the latest on the Wouxun radios. They have released several new handhelds but they appear to be similar to the old ones, just new firmware and a feature or two added.

As far as the mobile, "Wouxun says this radio will be ready in November-December. I would not expect to see it Certified and for sale until February."

speedmaster

Thanks, guys, Just pulled the trigger on the BAOFENG UV-3R Mark II, about $45 shipped from the usual auction site. ;-)

I can vouch for the TYT handhelds. I got a TYT TH-UVF1 at Christmas and it's an awesome radio. Ignore the reviews about it that complain about difficult programming. Doing it by hand is very easy in my opinion. I'm able to check into all of my local nets here using it and I think it feels like it's good quality. Great TX and RX quality for the price.

I've been meaning to pick up a UV-3R sometime. Maybe one in camo.

Last edited:
I know Wouxun has the KG-UV6D now. It is Dual Band with full coverage of 136-174 & 420-520

New Features : 2.5 KHz Tuning Step
199 Memory Channels
RPT Button for quick repeater offsets
Lockable S/D Button
Tuning Knob functions when Keypad is locked
IP55 Dust and Water Jets rating

I have the Wouxun KG-UV2D and I'm very happy. My first ham rig and I can't complain about the price.

Hope this Helps

John
aka: Policescanner1

KJ4WZO

Bubba1661

WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Wouxun KG-UV6D

I know Wouxun has the KG-UV6D now. It is Dual Band with full coverage of 136-174 & 420-520

199 Memory Channels
Lockable S/D Button

I have the Wouxun KG-UV2D and I'm very happy. My first ham rig and I can't complain about the price.

Hope this Helps

John

KJ4WZO

I'm ordering one next week.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Just pulled the trigger on the BAOFENG UV-3R Mark II...
Apparently, some early Baofeng UV-3R radios had poor harmonic suppression when transmitting on 2m and there was some question as to whether or not the radios met FCC technical requirements.

This web site:

Baofeng UV-3R LPF Mod

describes how to modify the radio to improve the low-pass filtering.

brian209

Feed Provider
I have the Wouxun KG-UV2D and I'm very happy.

John

John, thanks for the review. I'm currently two weeks out from my exam. I talked my daughter into taking the exam too, so I'll be on the hook for two radios at that point. I was looking at the prices but was concerned about the quality of the transmissions.

Brian

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I looked at those imports,and while they are indeed cheaper in price, I'll stick with my vx6r since I have 4 bands with it! (2m,6m,220 & 440mhz.) ;)

n9zas

N8RUS

I remember that last summer the Wouxun models got pretty popular. What's the latest from them? Any other new competitors in that price range?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Affordable takes in more than just $cheaper$. Spend the money and buy a Yaesu FT-60 handheld. It's dual band (144/440) and very rugged, easy to operate, last forever. You'll be very happy with it.

Trprc

199 Memory Channels
Lockable S/D Button

Hope this Helps

John

KJ4WZO

I am looking at the KG-UV6D but there are three versions all with different operating frequencies to choose from.

Bubba1661

WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Wouxun KG-UV6D

I've had mine for a few days now (UV6D), and programmed it pretty easily. Just make sure you get the version with the narrow band 2.5 KHz Tuning Step for the future. Nice radio.

jhooten

The UV6D-2.5 is the one that have full coverage and is narrow band compliant. Mine in on the UPS truck for delivery today. I will be nice to only have to carry one radio at the next race weekend where I'm scheduled to be recovery vehicle. (Come on Ed get my race car finished)

Trprc

The UV6D-2.5 is the one that have full coverage and is narrow band compliant. Mine in on the UPS truck for delivery today. I will be nice to only have to carry one radio at the next race weekend where I'm scheduled to be recovery vehicle. (Come on Ed get my race car finished)

Where did you purchase it from and price please. What do you race?

These guys have it for 139.00 but it does not have 2.5khz tuning steps
Wouxun KG-UV6D 136-174 / 420-520MHz - Radioshop888 KG-UVD1P KG-UV6D TG-UV2 ROIP Repeater Controller Speaker Mic Ham Radio KG-669 KG-689 PX-777 PX-888 FT-897 FT-857 VX-177 VXA-300 KG-679 VEV-3288S V-1000 TG-UV FT-817ND FT-60R FT-897 FT-857 VX-7R VX-7R

More info here on pricing and frequency choices http://www.wouxun.us/category.php?category_id=54

Yaesu dropped their price on the FT-60R from $200 to $160 to compete I guess http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0060.html

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
WOUXUN KG-UV6D V2- Best Bang For Your Buck!

Purchased one of these Wouxun radios, again! Yes I said again! I had purchased the earlier version which did not have the changes that this one has and got rid of it. Sure enough, they come out with this version which has a few updates or upgrades whichever you prefer. So, here is my first impression of this radio:

The good:
Narrowband ready. The radio has the proper 6.25 and 7.5 (2.5 actually) Khz. tunning step sizes.
Loud RX audio. 500Mw of loud crisp audio perfect for both home and mobile environment.
TX audio: very clean crisp sound. Tested on a scanner using GMRS and on Ham repeater. Good feedback
Memory capacity: 199 channels available with PL/DPL 6 character alphanumeric label capability
Backlighting: Very nice bright white backlight for the LCD and the keypad. No problems in low light situations.
Good Sensitivity: 0.2 Microvolts across both bands
Coverage: TX-RX= 136-174 and 420-519.9975 (to be exact! LOL)
Programmable side buttons: 2 side buttons can be programmed to do different things (scan, light, etc.)
Repeater Button: single button for repeater mode changes. No fiddling with menus
Battery: 1700mAh Li-ion battery included as is the drop-in fast charger Nice belt clip included as well.
Antenna: the included antenna, unlike a lot of radios, is very decent and usable.
Antenna connection: SMA - NOT reverse SMA as was the case before. Use any SMA antenna you wish.
Knobs: Large knobs no problem for any size hands or fingers.
Keypad: well marked easy to read
Monitor button: dedicated monitor squelch release button.
Program Software: (Included) Very straight foward, no issues loading to / from the radio. Software worked well with my windows 7 Pro on my laptop. cable included is USB.

These were just a few of the major featured points I wanted to bring up and is NOT intended to mean that these are all the features on this radio.

Now for the few not so great, but liveable things about this radio.

Squelch Tail: this radio has a very noticeable squelch tail. This may or may not get on your nerves. Given the fact that this is sold as a "commercial" radio, it lacks in this area. Again, its up to you, I can live with it.
Squelch settings: Due to the high sensitivity there is without a doubt, bleedover and intermod in heavy RF environments. The settings for the squelch go from 0 (none) to 10 (tightest). Even with the level set at 9, the interference still manages to get in at times. The only small relief is using PL/DPL tones.
VFO / Memory mode switch: there is no button to switch from VFO to memory mode. You HAVE to go through the menu. Again, this radio is sold as a "commercial" radio so the buyer MUST keep that in mind.
Scanning: Very very slow scan rate. Again, this is not a scanner so don't expect blazing fast speed here. But if fast scanning speed is something that you must have, then maybe this radio is not for you.
DOT matrix display: Im used to the nice LCD displays of regular commercial radios. This dot matrix thing takes a little getting used to. Not a deal breaker for me, but I felt the need to mention it.
Signal strength meter: forget about it. Every halfway decent strong signal shows up as full bars on the signal display. Again, this is a commercial radio. Can't say that enough.

That's really all I can say right now from a first impression stand point! For the price ($159.99) you really can't beat this baby with all the things you get. I got mine from (shameless plug coming up) Lentini Communications, Inc.. (thanks Bill and Alex!) I have no afiliation with them at all. Just a place I have done good business with for years so I keep going back. If you are on the fence about this radio, go for it. For HAM radio, GMRS and Commercial use (if licensed properly) it's a great little radio. Just keep in mind, it's a commercial radio with Ham radio capabilities so judge it accordingly.Will it ever be a Moto? NEVER! But then again, you're not paying MOTO prices either......

Manny

Last edited:

jhooten

Where did you purchase it from and price please. What do you race?

These guys have it for 139.00 but it does not have 2.5khz tuning steps
Wouxun KG-UV6D 136-174 / 420-520MHz - Radioshop888 KG-UVD1P KG-UV6D TG-UV2 ROIP Repeater Controller Speaker Mic Ham Radio KG-669 KG-689 PX-777 PX-888 FT-897 FT-857 VX-177 VXA-300 KG-679 VEV-3288S V-1000 TG-UV FT-817ND FT-60R FT-897 FT-857 VX-7R VX-7R

More info here on pricing and frequency choices WOUXUN KG-UV6D

Yaesu dropped their price on the FT-60R from $200 to $160 to compete I guess Yaesu FT-60, Yaesu FT60R 2 Meter HT

Got it from Universal Radio ( Wouxun KG-UV6D Dual Band Handi-talkie. KGUV6D ) for $160.

I have been racing an 85 Toyota Supra in SCCA since 2003 BUT, it was wrecked in November 2010, got it back from the body shop (it was wrecked big) in August and it burned in the Bastrop County Labor Day Conflagration of 2011. I now have a 2002 Camaro SS in the fabrication shop having a roll cage installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.