SDS100/SDS200: So you have just got your sds 100 , what is the first thing you do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
As the title says , I am finally giving in & will give the sds a go , Now with being a software radio , I would imagine it is a good idea before messing with it ,..to copy or clone the firmware & sd card it comes with ? I would assume the manual explains how to do this as well , then a screen protector of some sort ,..& I think I have a case that will allow cooling ,.Is there anything else I should know ? I know it is water resistant ,..but does anyone what kind of drops it is rated for ? water resistance is nice but how tough is it if it takes a tumble ? I am going to try to avoid charging within the radio , & using external antennas ,Im not sure if the external charger is smart charger or just a timer that should be monitored more closely , I just want to know the best care & feeding instructions to keep this thing alive

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
First thing I'd do (if buying one for the first time) would be to install Sentinel on my PC, and update the database. I'd do that right after placing the order. Then, when the scanner arrived, at least write the updated database to the scanner. Because, even if you tweak the service types to your satisfaction, and enter a location and range, you'll miss a lot if your scanning with an outdated version of the database. Favorites lists, of course, are the best way to target what you want to listen to. But location, range, and service types can, at least, give you a starting point to test drive the new radio if it has an updated database to work with. That way, you can get a feel for how it works, and also see where you may want to fine tune a Favorites list for your area.

And remember, you can't kill the scanner with a defective Favorites list or incorrect location. All of that can be painlessly remedied by correcting any error or omissions.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
A screen protector was my first acquisition, followed by a carry case. I bought the nylon version, which I thought would be more breathable than leather, and it does also have ventilation holes.
I am going to try to avoid charging within the radio

When removing and replacing the battery pack (both small and large types), be careful with the battery door clip - see the thread in the Uniden Tavern forum.

https://forums.radioreference.com/t...r-clip-due-to-large-battery-tightness.380203/

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Got that one myself - the Bestskinsever glossy version :)

About the easiest skin to apply I've encountered, and looks great.

jjbond

Banned
Banned
As the title says , I am finally giving in & will give the sds a go , Now with being a software radio , I would imagine it is a good idea before messing with it ,..to copy or clone the firmware & sd card it comes with ? I would assume the manual explains how to do this as well , then a screen protector of some sort ,..& I think I have a case that will allow cooling ,.Is there anything else I should know ? I know it is water resistant ,..but does anyone what kind of drops it is rated for ? water resistance is nice but how tough is it if it takes a tumble ? I am going to try to avoid charging within the radio , & using external antennas ,Im not sure if the external charger is smart charger or just a timer that should be monitored more closely , I just want to know the best care & feeding instructions to keep this thing alive

Get a screen protector, I'm super careful with mine and within a week it had a scuff on the cheap plastic screen, virtually every smart phone out there includes Gorilla glass on the screen now but no, not these... your display will scuff... be careful.

Disregard, I see others mentioned it already.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Get a screen protector, I'm super careful with mine and within a week it had a scuff on the cheap plastic screen, virtually every smart phone out there includes Gorilla glass on the screen now but no, not these... your display will scuff... be careful.

Disregard, I see others mentioned it already.
Yes for the price , I thought it would be something like tempered gorilla glass made from diamonds ,..but I guess not ,..so screen protector it is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.