HP-2: software better on the 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

worble7

I have the hp1 and it works ok in Fremont Ca. for the PD lately its not working much at all I want to know is the hp2 software any better? don't want to waste the money if its not any better. thanks jeff

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
I have the hp1 and it works ok in Fremont Ca. for the PD lately its not working much at all I want to know is the hp2 software any better? don't want to waste the money if its not any better. thanks jeff

My understanding is the only difference been the hp1 and hp2 is that hp2 can do p25 phase 2.

rwier

Probably dementia on my part, but I can't think of any possible relationship between software and how well a scanner "works".

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Probably dementia on my part, but I can't think of any possible relationship between software and how well a scanner "works".
Exactly. As long as the programming is correct, it does not matter what software was used to enter it.

For that matter, both the HP-1 & HP-2 use the same version of Sentinel.

Besides the ability of the HP-2 to handle the Phase II systems, where the as the HP-1 can only handle P25 Phase I, the other differences between the two models are not significant as to operational ability or sensitivity. The HP-2 has a black facing on the case, the HP-1 has a silver case. The HP-1 comes with an AC adapter as well as a DC adapter for mobile use. The HP-2 does not come with an adapter. Instead, it is powered through the USB port, and can use a standard USB charger (wall wart or dc adapter version). To both charge and operate the HP-2 at the same time, the USB charger should be 1 amp or higher capability.

raisindot

For what it;s worth, I have an HP-1 and just bought a 436HP, which I've been told uses the same basic "receiver technology" as the HP-2. In terms of picking up signals, the 436 is much, much better, bringing in things the HP-1 never "hits." Not sure if the HP-2 would perform the same way.

Oh, and as to the USB "charger" thing, I have only gotten AC power to be supplied to the 436 through my laptop's USB port. I have tried four different standard 1amp USB chargers and none of them work--scanner keeps turning off when I turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.