Software defined radio project

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXJR

Premium Subscriber
Hello there. I'm starting a new project. I recently purchased an RTL2832 and have great fun with it on my PC.

I know you can run the dongle over TCP on your PC. Here is where the real fun comes in.

I got an NSLU2 brand new in the box for a buck. They run Linux natively, I'm in the process of re flashing

the device to a more usable distro.

I'm trying to use the device as a stand alone server for the RTL dongle. There are all sorts of mods you

can do to them. NSLU2-Linux - Main / HomePage browse

I'm adding a heat sink and fan to the ARM processor as well as a usb hub, and

de-underclocking/overclocking the device.

I know people have setup raspberry pi to act as a stand alone server for these SDR dongles.

Anyone with ideas, comments or thoughts on this feel free to join the discussion.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has undertaken the PI build, or anyone that can help.

I will be documenting the project from start to finish for the radio community. It will be placed on my

website when done. Credits to those that contribute to the project will be placed on the site as well.

Note: Mods, i didn't know where this thread should be placed. Feel free to move it.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved from Equipment Installation forum to Software Defined Radio forum.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
In the latest QST magazine they talk about a Virtual Radar using a R820T or RTL2832. It has information about making a 1090 MHz no solder antenna and the two pieces of free software needed to track aircraft within 100 miles if they have the ADS-B transmitter onboard.
Mike

Hello there. I'm starting a new project. I recently purchased an RTL2832 and have great fun with it on my PC.

DXJR

Premium Subscriber
Working on a wide band antenna already. I'm making this project as a stand alone unit that will stream the output via rtl_tcp to a pseudo web interface. The idea is to not tie up my power hungry workstation with this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.