software for bcd396t???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervin1

i just purchased a 396t which software is the best for this scanner ? any suggestions

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'd agree with Matt. I'm using Uniden's software. Works fine for me & you can't beat the price. I believe, in past posts, you've indicated you're in the Houston metro area, right? STARNET, the trunked system for Harris & some of the surrounding areas, is one of the preloads. Pull it up in UASD after you've downloaded the software & compare how the system looks in the software versus the information in the database here on RadioReference. You'll want to review, & probably add to, the talk groups preloaded in the system. On the preloads, Uniden mainly entered the frequencies needed for the system, then the primary fire & police dispatch talkgroup ID's.

You can also download Butel's software for a trial period. It does offer import capabilities from RadioReference not present in the Uniden software. That's a preference issue.

Another software program that's available, as freeware, is AVC396. It does not offer programming options, but does allow recording & activity logging on both conventional & trunked systems. (The Uniden software only does logging on trunked system talkgroup activity.)

There are a couple of other software packages that also support the 396, listed in the Wiki. I'm not familiar enough with them to provide any details.

Off the topic of software, but one suggestion for you. If you have not done so already, download the owner's manual for the 396 from Uniden's webpage. It's in a *.pdf format. The index in the printed manual leaves something to be desired. But if you pull up the downloaded version in Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can find just about anything in seconds with a keyword search using the Reader's search function.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I stand corrected. You're in Jackson County, between Houston & Corpus. Out of range of STARNET, but you could still use it as an example if you wanted to try & set up Victoria County's system.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Boy, everyone is so hung up on the UASD or the ARC software, they forget that there are 1 or 2 others; Scan Control now supports it, and if you're interested in tck/tl there's a package for that, too. Supposedly the freeware RadioCtl also now supports it. And then there's Scancat Lite Plus (not my first choice for any Uniden scanner, frankly, but some folks like it)

One very nice feature of Scan Control is that it will upgrade data from previous Uniden models without using cut/paste, ect.

You can find those links here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396T

73s Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.