BCD396XT/BCD996XT: software for BCD996XT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackdue

Premium Subscriber
I have BCD996XT on order along with GPSK GPS receiver and programing cable....Do I need anything else?.....It seems like the GPS receiver will need software....Am I right?....What do I get and where?

jackdue

Premium Subscriber
PHASK-reply

I have BCD996XT on order along with GPSK GPS receiver and programing cable....Do I need anything else?.....It seems like the GPS receiver will need software....Am I right?....What do I get and where?

It is my understanding that I will need drivers??....But also for all the frequencies that should be uploaded to the scanner once the GPS locates my location??....I have freescan...Will this do it for me??...Please bear with me as this is new to me....Thanks.

kma371

QRT
I would suggest downloading a programs called FreeScan which will allow you to program your scanner and add GPS info to specific channels or groups. Additionally, you can become a premium subscriber here and download directly from the database which includes GPS data.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
No drivers needed for GPS device, pretty much plug and play.

Agree with FreeScan. With you being a premium subscriber, you can use FreeScan to download the programming "stuff" for your desired system(s) to your scanner, which would include location information. That location information and the GPS device work hand in hand to turn "things" on and off depending upon your location.

Lastly, you'll need a USB-1 cable, which connects from your computer to your scanner from programming purposes. When you get that, there will be instructions where to download the latest drivers. Be sure you download and install these drivers BEFORE plugging in the cable the first time.

jackdue

Premium Subscriber
I would like to thank all who replied to my post......Your help and great info leaves me a little less afraid of what's to come.....I have amassed most of what you recommended and will have it on hand when this beast arrives.....Thanks again.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thing to remember is that most all of us started out knowing very little.

It's going to take some patience to learn the programming. Most importantly, there isn't anything you would do to "ruin" your scanner if you program it wrong. There are ways of re-setting it back to square one.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Go ahead and download freescan and try creating some files.

Add the GPS info and get used to the interface. It's easy, but your level of confidence depends on your scanner use.

kma371

QRT
Agree. I would start downloading stuff now so you can see visually how it works before scanner arrives. Then all you have to do is upload :)

Status
Not open for further replies.