Software for RS 2052

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone ever used software from blackbox (black bag) software especially for the RS 2052? Reading the ad would lead one to think this software might could reband (not on the scanner itself but by computer control). Just wondering afore I spent my hardearned $14.95 :confused:

http://www.pro2052.com/

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Forget it. You're mixing apples and oranges. The 2052, as far as is known, is not being supported by RS for rebanding, and would require firmware changes to calculate the new channel offsets.

Lots of people mix up firmware and software; here's one way I have found easy to keep the two apart - firmware is the 'brains' of the radio; without the firmware in the radio, it's just a collection of parts.

Software on the other hand is external - sometimes offering more functions than the radio would normally have (such as having 10000 channels to scan, as many of the ScanPro series do - and that's about the only good thing with this software...). Scan Control is probably the best of the lot. One thing it offers that the others don't is a copy/paste utility that works with the RR databases. In addition it works with the 996 as well.

73 Mike

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Re: RS 2052 Software

Thanks, Mike. Saved me some money. I kinda figured it wouldn't work - just wanted to make sure.
Barry

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
The only trunking system that will be effected by rebanding is a motorola system. If you use the pro2052 for edacs then you will be fine.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Re: RS 2052

Will the 2052 track Motorola trunking on other bands such as the 161 MHZ or the 400 MHZ TRS systems (Type I or II)? Obviously the 800 MHZ trunk tracking is kaput. Might get moved to RS thread.

Thanks,
Barry

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Barry I'm pretty sure it does. I'm not entirely sure why you would say 800 mhz trunktracking is kaput, unless you have a Moto non-P25 system that has rebanded in your area. Rebanding all these crazy systems is going to take quite a while, certainly won't happen overnight.

Here's a very useful page - from the 'Easier to Read' manual series - on the 2052. By the way, the author has one for the 996 as well...

http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/2052/2052.html

73 Mike

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
2052 Rebanding

Thanks again, Mike. I basically meant thath the 2052 won't track the rebanded Palmetto 800 system we now have here in SC (it used to before rebanding when it was SCANA). My 996 is working wonderfully and I hesitate to ask this - on the uniden type II 800 MHZ my 996 will sound analog as well as digital and I didn't program it for digital. On one sheriff's dept. it has both analog and a couple of digital TGs and the 996 will do them all on this site. The digital sounds like the deputies are in the room with me while the analog - well sounds like a scanner. If this thread don't get moved :lol: !

Again - Thanks,
Barry

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<gentle hint mode> Barry you're changing topics here (from the 2052 to the 996), please start a new thread - which likely should be in the SC or Uniden forums

</gentle hint mode>

73 Mike

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Moved to Uniden Thread

Sorry, so much info, so little time!

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.