Software for the BC780XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcojack

Feed Provider
I'm using the ProScan software with this scanner and it is excellent, but at $50 US when the 30 day trial runs out I'm looking for something that costs less.

Has anyone gotten Freescan or some other software to work with this unit? Freescan doesn't list the BC780XLT as one of the scanners that works with it. Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm using the ProScan software with this scanner and it is excellent, but at $50 US when the 30 day trial runs out I'm looking for something that costs less.

Has anyone gotten Freescan or some other software to work with this unit? Freescan doesn't list the BC780XLT as one of the scanners that works with it. Thanks.
FreeSCAN will not work, since it is setup to only program specific scanners that use DMA, but it does not cover the Home Patrol style of database scanners.

Butel, which is the publisher of the ARC scanner programming software, does have a program that will work for the BC780XLT. However, the 780XLT is the only scanner that software supports. It also is noted on Butel's page that the last Windows system it will be able to use is Windows XP, so if you have Vista or later, it's a no go.

I agree with budd. Get ProScan instead. Besides the 780XLT, ProScan supports a large number of other Uniden scanners, from the BC780XLT to the latest models, including the SDS100 & SDS200. (It does not include the HP-1 & HP-2).

Ubbe

When I long time ago searched for free programs for UBC780 there where several and also several for BC780. The ones for UBC worked with a Win7 computer. I settled for one by Andrew.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, Proscan is your only choice. If you have a scanner that ancient (as do I) at some point you'll consider a new addition and Proscan can handle that one too, so that helps the price impact.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Butel has ARC780 ($14.95) however.

IMPORTANT: support for this product has ended. Software will only run on Windows XP. IMPORTANT: this software is now sold 'as is'. This software will not be updated anymore. Please try the demo BEFORE purchasing a license for this software. ARC780 is written in an older development language and only supports short 8 character filenames! > ARC780 is NOT compatible with Windows Vista/7/8.

Also not compatible with Windows 10.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Performed well for me (win7) some years back, fully functional demo version ran time unlimited - no guarantees...
While it may have worked for you, I would not count on it to work for everyone else. The fact that the publisher, Butel, states that it will no longer be supported, which I would take to mean its 'as is', don't expect any response if there's an issue, would lead me to look elsewhere.

Also, the cautionary text about not working with newer Windows versions (iMONITOR posted the text that I had already seen on Butel's webpage) would be another deal killer for me. If the OP wants to make a $15 gamble that it works, even though Butel's own webpage has the disclaimers, the so be it. But don't expect a lot of help if there is any problem.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
While it may have worked for you, I would not count on it to work for everyone else. The fact that the publisher, Butel, states that it will no longer be supported, which I would take to mean its 'as is', don't expect any response if there's an issue, would lead me to look elsewhere.

Also, the cautionary text about not working with newer Windows versions (iMONITOR posted the text that I had already seen on Butel's webpage) would be another deal killer for me. If the OP wants to make a $15 gamble that it works, even though Butel's own webpage has the disclaimers, the so be it. But don't expect a lot of help if there is any problem.

Arkmood's link was to ScanControl, even older software.

You're right, ProScan is the way to go for sure on this, plus it support a long list of other scanners for future needs.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Arkmood's link was to ScanControl, even older software.

You're right, ProScan is the way to go for sure on this, plus it support a long list of other scanners for future needs.
Thanks for the clarification. I did not check Arkmood's link, since I presumed, incorrectly, that it was regarding the ARC software already under discussion. Back when there were very few available programs, I also used used Scan Control until something better was available, and Scan Control was not being actively supported by the author.

Status
Not open for further replies.