Software question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Happy holidays to all !
I received Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 as a gift from my wife. I love it and I love her for doing it. That software is $99.99 before tax around here at the local BestBuy. So, this week's Best Buy ad has Corel Paint Shop Pro Ultimate on sale for $39.99 down from $99.99. At that price, I just could not RESIST picking one up!!!!! Now I am not knocking Adobe but so far, Corel seems to me like it is a lot more user friendly. Everytime I picked a tool or option to use, there was a how-to guide popping up to help me. With Adobe, you have to go looking for it in the help menu, if you can find it. I guess I now have the best of both worlds, but Corel seems a lot easier to navigate. Has anyone had this experience? I would be curious to receive some comments from anyone that has either program.

Manny

N1SQB

Well I dont know about being over rated but I tell you, Corel definitely makes it easier to become familiar with things. The second thing I liked is that Corel gives you both a softcover manual AND a pdf copy on your computer. Adobe only gives you a pdf. Second, the Corel software package comes with other software like a recovery tool, and it even gives you a free 2gb flash drive. Now I know you can get those drives for cheap but it is nice that they include one. Like I said, I have the best of both worlds now, but I find myself using Corel much more than Adobe.

Manny

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I've used Corel for years, even back in the days when it was owned by JASC. I've always found it more intuitive than PhotoChop, although PhotoChop will ultimately do more. For most people they never get to the extended functionality in PhotoChop anyway.

I'm currently using the latest product Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 which is even better than the previous versions.

UPMan

Uniden Representative
Premium Subscriber
My vote is for PSP, also. I've used it since version 2. Layers are easier to use, the tools in general are easier to use, the menus make more logical sense...

If they charged $499 for it instead of $99 they'd probably get more of the designers using it...at $99 no one really believes it can be any good.

N1SQB

I'm currently using the latest product Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 which is even better than the previous versions.
Yup! Thats the one I just picked up! Awesome!

My vote is for PSP, also. I've used it since version 2. Layers are easier to use, the tools in general are easier to use, the menus make more logical sense...

If they charged $499 for it instead of $99 they'd probably get more of the designers using it...at $99 no one really believes it can be any good.
I agree! I have to admit that I felt the same way before I tried it. When you look at other more expensive software, you tend not to expect too much out of this one. I am SOOOOO glad I got it for $39.99....Talk about a hidden treasure....

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
So, Fuzzy, Paul or Manny:

The reason I like PS Elements is for the organizational tools that come with it. I need to upgrade and need info.

Manny since you have used Elements in the past (and also have 8), does the PSP have an organizer like Elements?

Just a bit of background, I just changed to a MacBook Pro and also am running Windows 7 on it with Parallels. I tried the Elements 8 for Mac and without the organizer it just is a photo editing tool. iPhoto sucks (IMHO) for organization as it tries to do too much decision making on its own. I downloaded the Elements 8 for Windows (since I have been using V6 I am used to the interface) and it seems to work just fine in Windows 7 and as a result I did not have to do anything to the 12000+ photos I have cataloged except move them to the Mac from the PC and let Elements re-catalog them (new location, new software). That is done now, so before I drop the $99 for Elements (I still have a couple of weeks on the trial) can I get the same thing out of PSP?

BTW, just an OT comment for Paul. This setup works every Windows based piece of radio software I own with the exception of one USB->Serial adapter that has not yet released a driver for Windows 7, if I was running XP, that adapter would also be working.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Corel Paint Shop Pro v 9 is an old one. Very powerful, yet much easier to use than Adobe Photo Shop, or Elements for that matter. It runs great on moderate hardware, and Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I've used everything under the sky from the original Paint Brush in Win 3.0 all the way up to CS5 (what I am using now), and I can say that the Paint Shop Pro is a really easy to use software. And it's a good price. Unfortunately for what I do (digital photo restoration), I pretty much have to use CS5 as I really need all it's features (and I'm running it on my HP DV9700 laptop - 4GB RAM & a AMD Dual Core processor). It's not for everyone, but it's currently the best that's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.