software question

Status
Not open for further replies.

archuck

Premium Subscriber
what is the best software to use for a 197pro ? I'm having a problom understanding the manual. I guess I'm
not a rocket scientist but I'm trying to get it programed before I get old.

thanks archuck

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let's start with identifying the big 3 for this radio - ARC500, PSRedit500 and Win500. They're all linked from here (anything in blue is a link)

Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

I'm not a RS user, but it seems Win500 is the favorite. Both Win500 and ARC500 have their own user's guide online (also linked in that article), and if I were new, that would be a significant plus in their favor.

There's also an Easier to Read guide for these radios, linked here...

GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

n5ims

what is the best software to use for a 197pro ? I'm having a problom understanding the manual. I guess I'm
not a rocket scientist but I'm trying to get it programed before I get old.

thanks archuck

The "best software" isn't which of those available is good and which is crap, they're all quite good. They all do pretty much the same jobs and none will do something major that others won't. Where they differ is how they do what they do and that is what will make one stand out as "better" for YOU since it will work in the way you get it. If you happen to notice that the emphasis was given to the word "you" that's no accident. How you "get it" may be quite different to how I "get it", so what I find best may be total crap to you and vice versa.

All of the packages in the links provided above have a free trial period which you need to use to see which is a better fit for you. First read the manual to get a feel for how your scanner works (you don't have to totally understand it, but should understand the difference between the various major topics like conventional and trunking, frequencies and talkgroups, etc. The RR WIKI has many articles to help make these topics easier and there are links to some "Easier to read manual ..." pages to help make the manual thing a bit easier as well.

Once you understand what your scanner will do for you and somewhat how to make it do it, the software will make that task much easier as well. Playing with the various packages will let you finally answer your question of "which is best" in a very personal manner (and save you from the grief of fighting whichever one I happen to think is best).

Good luck and have fun trying them out and learning the ins & outs of your scanner!

AC2OY

Fmon good luck!!!....and don't feel bad I had no idea that aftervpurchasing a digital scanner I would née a radio engineer's degree just tp understand how the software works or program it? I mean you can actually manually imput conventional frequencies but you might miss stuff!! So what I did ...lol was get a little help from a wonderful person here to help me...to be honest he basically programmed the thing for me. He sent me updated files and when I finally got the hang of it I put a few in my own but probably forgot to hit save so that you actually save your work. Read everything you can find here,become a premium member,then preview the software and see whatbyour like best. The Win500 let's you make custom light colors so that when the Pro-197 hits on a frequency the color you assigned lights up so you have some idea what your listening to ex. Blue for police or red for fire!! If you have any questions feel free to pm me or anybody here many,many people here got me rolling and because of thatbinwould try my best to help you as much as I can. Get your PC or MAC ready with your RS USB UPLOAD Cable and you can begin!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.