Software suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pksager

Premium Subscriber
To anyone who can help. Im a newby to my digital scanner. Uniden bcd996p2. What software would you suggest for my initial set up. Thank you, hopeless in spokane

MFD4305

My Two Cents

Hi PK,

Welcome to The Forums. I'm a little surprised that mine is the first reply to your query: it's a fairly common one. Keeping in mind that I am NOT a software expert, my advice is:

FreeScan

I've used this free (duh!) software to program my venerable 996T for years. The Law of Averages - or maybe that was Murphy's Law - says that you'll encounter occasional issues. Your antivirus will warn you that FreeScan contains a virus [it doesn't]. You'll see "failure to connect" and "cannot find the scanner" messages from time to time, but stay with it and work around them.

I recommend you Search this Forum for the MANY threads regarding this excellent software. Then download it and you'll find programming your scanner a breeze!

Good luck and Happy Monitoring...

chaycock

To anyone who can help. Im a newby to my digital scanner. Uniden bcd996p2. What software would you suggest for my initial set up. Thank you, hopeless in spokane

FreeScan is a pretty good program, however I use a package called ProsScan, which can be found at ProScan.org. ProScan is not free, but has a ton of features, many that FreeScan does not. If you don't need those features, then FreeScan should fit the bill.

I have been very happy with ProScan.

kmi8dy

dito for freescan. 8 to 10 years now. oh yea, and its free. i want to make sure you understand that. all others are 40 to 50 dollars give or take. suggestion, try freescan first, if you do not like it, you have lost nothing.

gonefishn1

dito for freescan. 8 to 10 years now. oh yea, and its free. i want to make sure you understand that. all others are 40 to 50 dollars give or take. suggestion, try freescan first, if you do not like it, you have lost nothing.

As Per the Freescan Site: the Freescan software does not work for the newest Uniden scanners. It will never be made to work with the HP scanners or the BCD536HP or the BCD436HP. So Free is useless to people with new scanners and ProScan continually updates its software and the updates are FREE forever.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
FreeScan will work with the P2 line of scanners as long as you have the latest version...as to the 436HP and 536HP, ProScan isn't the only game in town. While they do serve somewhat different functions, Sentinel and BuTel's software remain popular, and there are a few utilities that folks have coded up for more specialized functions with these radios. See the article linked below (links are always blue)

BCD436HP and BCD536HP Page 2 - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.