Packet Software to monitor traffic with KISS TNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8SHA

This is me!
Looking for a way to monitor KISS TNC traffic on the air. Basically I'm trying to see the traffic passed trying to initiate a WinLink connection with my Kenwood 710. (not on the same radio, but another radio with a build in TNC)

I've tried the AGWPE products, but they're so buggy, and inconsistent that I've given up on them.

Matt

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Understand that the sequence of data is computer > TNC (the one in your D710) > transmitter > receiver > TNC (the one at the other location) > computer.

The over-the-air signal is just high and low tones that represent 0s and 1s. The TNCs convert the 0s and 1s to high and low tones and vice versa. The only place that the KISS protocol exists is between the computer and the TNC.

If you had another receiver and another TNC, you could decode the data stream, but what would that do for you?

Also, one other task of the TNC is to take the serial data from the computer and break it into packets. At the receiving end, the packets are reassembled.

You can find some additional information about KISS here: KISS Protocol

N8SHA

This is me!
Yeah, I'm aware of all of that. I'm just trying to find something besides the AGW Packet Engine / Pro to decode and display the sent data. As I mentioned (perhaps not entirely clearly though), I have another Radio and TNC.

Since I only the RX to see what is happening, I might try just pipe the audio from a handheld into my PC and use UZ7HO's soundmodem.

Understand that the sequence of data is computer > TNC (the one in your D710) > transmitter > receiver > TNC (the one at the other location) > computer.

The over-the-air signal is just high and low tones that represent 0s and 1s. The TNCs convert the 0s and 1s to high and low tones and vice versa. The only place that the KISS protocol exists is between the computer and the TNC.

If you had another receiver and another TNC, you could decode the data stream, but what would that do for you?

Also, one other task of the TNC is to take the serial data from the computer and break it into packets. At the receiving end, the packets are reassembled.

You can find some additional information about KISS here: KISS Protocol

a417

Yeah, I'm aware of all of that. I'm just trying to find something besides the AGW Packet Engine / Pro to decode and display the sent data. As I mentioned (perhaps not entirely clearly though), I have another Radio and TNC.

Since I only the RX to see what is happening, I might try just pipe the audio from a handheld into my PC and use UZ7HO's soundmodem.
RTL-SDR dongle and a gnuradio instance?

K4APR

Wouldn't any terminal program work to see whats coming out of the TNC ? I run SecureCRT but Putty, ProComm or any should be able to show you the data ?

Yes and no. Any terminal like PuTTY is going to show the packet, but the first half before the PID will look like garbage because it's binary. After the PID, you'll see the payload in human readable ASCII that makes sense. Years ago, I wrote a small application to convert KISS frames to a human readable form, much like you would see off the serial port of a KPC-3 in full UI frames.

Keep in mind, the software on this page is old, has not been updated in many years and I don't even think I still have the original source code I wrote, to actually update any of it:

Status
Not open for further replies.