Software to remotely control Vhf amateur transceivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
I would like to place a Vhf or possibly even dual band transceiver in a remote location then fully control it via the internet with full receive and transmit PTT and voice capability.

I found products like Ham Radio Deluxe but they seem to be geared toward the higher end all mode HF-Uhf transceivers. I don't want to dedicate a radio like that to this application since only one or two bands will ever be used.

Does anyone know of a program that would control a regular single or dual band mobile from Yaesu or Icom etc... that supports full remote control?

Howdy_All

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Its not that simple.

When used as a remote base - that is technically a repeater.
Although you are the only one using it, because others could have access to it, you have to have some type of controller - which would allow it to identify every 10 or 15 minutes, you would need some kind of link - which could control it - turn it on / shut it off - if stuck in transmit, or the internet crashed. Some would require a 220 mhz link frequency - which could be accessed by you only - with secret codes - or a telephone link with a private unpublished number. I have even seen it done with a cell phone - but then again, if you only owned the one - that is $25.00 a month for a phone that does nothing but sit there.

Here is some advice - buy or down load the Part 97

Read it, then read it again, then get someone else to read it to you.
Part 97 - Amateur Radio

§97.7 Control operation required.

§97.13 Restrictions on station location.-

§97.103 Station licensee responsibilities. -

§97.105 Control operator duties

§97.109 Station control

§97.201 Auxiliary station.

§97.213 Telecommand of an amateur station. -

IS MY REMOTE BASE OK?

ICS Linker IIa Repeater Controller

You will need a tower, some hardline, a power supply, a controller, a building to keep it in, some sort of power source 120 / 240 VAC or 12 VDC and solar panels and batteries. A radio - such as a Yaesu 857D, A internet connection - if you wish to connect it via IRLP, Echo link etc.. or some other sort of internet source..
You will need a program to operate the computer...

You might want to look at repeaterbuilder.com for some more idea's.

The bottom line is - it is very expensive to do, and even when you do it, it might be cheaper to just get a general class ticket and move up to the HF and put up some type of antenna and work all the bands instead of spending a whole lot of money to work the 2 meters.

mancow

Database Admin
I already have a tower site with access to a 3 Mb broadband connection and power. I hear guys running HF remotely all the time all the way across the country. I have access to the site and it's very close to my home so a lockup can be physically corrected easily enough. I could even place a 900 receiver at the site with a relay to force the radio to power off with a command from a portable at my house. I have those issues pretty well covered but am just looking for the actual software to make it happen. Ham Radio Deluxe seems to be aimed only had HF-Uhf radios and I don't want to dedicate a $1000 radio to an application that will only utilize Vhf and possibly Uhf.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
When used as a remote base - that is technically a repeater.

This is wrong.

A remote base is NOT a repeater, and has different regulatory requirements.

Although you are the only one using it, because others could have access to it, you have to have some type of controller - which would allow it to identify every 10 or 15 minutes

This is also wrong. A remote base is under positive control of a control operator, and not under automatic control like a repeater. Voice ID is perfectly adequate for a remote base. No automatic ID is required.

The rest of your post is either wrong, or superfluous and unnecessary in the context of the OP's question.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
I've seen a number of apps and some off the shelf hardware to do as you describe via the net. Unfortunately I don't have a list of the products in front of me, you might look at W4MQ Internet RemoteBase for starters and then use Google from there.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

You could use just about any control software you would like. (Maybe N1MM would be more to your liking.) Then control the radio-interfaced computer via a remote desktop session.

Thayne

I was wondering what is the point; you just want the propagation from the site you mentioned? (Like if you climbed to the top of the tower and whipped out your radio)

mancow

Database Admin
That's exactly the point. It would be the equivalent of a 150' tower at my shack with a 4 bay hi gain omni dipole on top. You don't get too much better than that.

mancow

Database Admin
That's what I thought about doing but I still need an app that would display the radio parameters and allow PTT control.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

You could use just about any control software you would like. (Maybe N1MM would be more to your liking.) Then control the radio-interfaced computer via a remote desktop session.

thomast77

You might want to check out RemoteShack.com. It is geared mainly for HF but under supported radios it says. "The RemoteShack can work with any two-way radio, however if you do not have a CAT serial connection on your rig, you will not be able to change frequencies or control other functions. You will be able to RX and TX." You may want to contact them and ask if it will work for your radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.