Software upgrade ? BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

marct63

Premium Subscriber
Looking for some input to maximize the scanning capabilities of my BCD436HP, as far adding ProVoice EDACS, DMR and NXDN. Can they be downloaded one upgrade at a time over a period of time or do they all kind of work together. Can’t justify purchasing all at one time so looking to do over a couple months. I live in the Greater Hartford, CT area and my scanner interests are Police, Fire & EMS. Any ideas which one is going to serve better by downloading first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
As long as your 436 has fairly recent firmware (I recommend using Sentinel to ensure you have the most recent), you have the capability for ProVoice, DMR, and NXDN. However, unless you purchase an unlock key for each type of digital voice, they are locked and your scanner will not properly decode those types of systems.

You can purchase all, some, or just one unlock code at a time, as your needs, wants, and/or budget dictate.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Can they be downloaded one upgrade at a time over a period of time or do they all kind of work together.

They aren't downloads. You go to Uniden's site and purchase keys that are then entered into the scanner using the front panel.

But each one is separate, and doesn't require the others to function.

I live in the Greater Hartford, CT area and my scanner interests are Police, Fire & EMS. Any ideas which one is going to serve better by downloading first.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=305

That's where you are, yes? I see a couple DMR frequencies used by colleges, if that interests you.

I also see this system, which is EDACS:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1023

But according to the DB there are only a couple digital talk groups, which is what the ProVoice upgrade is for.

I do see a couple DMR trunking systems listed in the database, but they don't seem to be used for Police/Fire/EMS.

So based on the database, you really don't need *any* of the upgrades to listen to the things that interest you. If you want to branch out, I would start with either DMR or NXDN but keep in mind that a lot of the traffic that uses those digital formats is business related.

marct63

Premium Subscriber
They aren't downloads. You go to Uniden's site and purchase keys that are then entered into the scanner using the front panel.

But each one is separate, and doesn't require the others to function.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=305

That's where you are, yes? I see a couple DMR frequencies used by colleges, if that interests you.

I also see this system, which is EDACS:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1023

But according to the DB there are only a couple digital talk groups, which is what the ProVoice upgrade is for.

I do see a couple DMR trunking systems listed in the database, but they don't seem to be used for Police/Fire/EMS.

So based on the database, you really don't need *any* of the upgrades to listen to the things that interest you. If you want to branch out, I would start with either DMR or NXDN but keep in mind that a lot of the traffic that uses those digital formats is business related.
Thank you for the assistance, greatly appreciated

marct63

Premium Subscriber
As long as your 436 has fairly recent firmware (I recommend using Sentinel to ensure you have the most recent), you have the capability for ProVoice, DMR, and NXDN. However, unless you purchase an unlock key for each type of digital voice, they are locked and your scanner will not properly decode those types of systems.

You can purchase all, some, or just one unlock code at a time, as your needs, wants, and/or budget dictate.
Thank you for the assistance, greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.