Software Upgrades For SDS200 (worth it)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings Massachusetts friends. Just purchased a Uniden SDS200 that will ship next week. Very excited! I live on the South Shore (Norwell) and would like to know if the 3 available software upgrades are worth it for this area? DMR Uniden Software, ProVoice EDACS Uniden Software and NXDN Uniden Software. Any other recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
Greetings Massachusetts friends. Just purchased a Uniden SDS200 that will ship next week. Very excited! I live on the South Shore (Norwell) and would like to know if the 3 available software upgrades are worth it for this area? DMR Uniden Software, ProVoice EDACS Uniden Software and NXDN Uniden Software. Any other recommendations greatly appreciated.

Have to ask...

Is this your First Scanner ?

Pete N1EXA

Good morning Pete,
Technically no but considering what I’m upgrading from, I am definitely a newb and very eager-to-learn. I’ve been watching videos, reading good info here and exploring the capabilities of the SDS200. I can add these services before it ships ($). Curious if they are good for south shore / south of Boston?

I have a Bearcat Sportcat 150 that I’ve used to listen to local Police & Fire for several years, but with most towns going digital It only picks up few channels (Quincy, Weymouth, Braintree, Hingham, Hull, MSP, South Shore area my main interest).

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

The entire Mass Bay Transit system (MBTA) is still using EDACS ProVoice.

Some DMR here:

Last edited:

KEWB-N1EXA

Good morning Pete,
Technically no but considering what I’m upgrading from, I am definitely a newb and very eager-to-learn. I’ve been watching videos, reading good info here and exploring the capabilities of the SDS200. I can add these services before it ships ($). Curious if they are good for south shore / south of Boston?

I have a Bearcat Sportcat 150 that I’ve used to listen to local Police & Fire for several years, but with most towns going digital It only picks up few channels (Quincy, Weymouth, Braintree, Hingham, Hull, MSP, South Shore area my main interest).

I'm was asking because the SDS200 is a pretty expensive investment where for this area you can buy a 15X for dedicated Analog and or
A 996P2 for Analog and Digital Platforms.

The State Police for Your Area In Analog Trunk for the most part and Your Local Police are using the P25 Platform or Analog UHF.
There is DMR around here Such as the IC&E System which one of the systems is in Kingston . That is mainly Taxi's Buses Private Ambulances
and Other vendors. I have a few IC&E systems loaded in my 996P2 and Monitor them. Other DMR is Ham radio which the most popular tower in in Bourne.

Yes there is Digital P25 Phase 2 out west in the state but way out of range of Norwell.

The MBTA uses Provoice but being out in Norwell your out of the Boston System.

Another is how the SDS200 is programmed. With your 150 your bumping in the Frequencies by hand . It can be done with the 996 and 15x but
they can be software loaded for ease because with trunking you have multiple Frequencies and Alpha tags ( ID numbers and Names) for each
Channel in the system.

The SDS200 is Sentinal based using a data base here a RR. Yes you have the option of Favorites and adding seperate frequencies but
its going to be a jump for you.

Just really read up and get some opinions on the SDS200... I am not for or against it because i don't own one - just think that "Am I jumping
in too deep"

There is a learning curve with this stuff. We all started at the bottom and learned as we go.

Pete N1EXA

My plan was to purchase the BCD536 as it would have filled my needs. I worked a few OT days extra so I went with the SDS200. It will be a learning curve but I wanted something I can use for years to come, so why not the SDS200. I had them program Plymouth and Norfolk counties so it will be ready right out of the box but I will be using Proscan and Sentinal from Uniden. I was able to download Proscan no problem but even after I registered Uniden account, still can’t find Sentinal. For Sentinal maybe I need serial number?

Out of the 3 upgrades I was thinking DMR and NXDN software?

garys

Premium Subscriber
It really depends on what you're going to listen to. While many of the local departments are moving to P25 as budgets permit, there are plenty of scanners that will receive that with no issue.

You may or may not receive the Boston area 700 Mhz Overlay, but most of that is Phase 1.

DMR and NXDN are mostly used by commercial systems, but some towns are moving their none public safety departments (Highway, schools, Water, etc...) to DMR since they don't have the requirements that public safety does. Norwell doesn't seem to have done that.

The rest of the DMR and NXDN use is things like private ambulance service, construction, dumpsters and trash, as well as tow truck companies. Unless you are interested in that or just want to play around with the newer modes, you might not think it worth your money.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I can add these services before it ships ($).

Don't pay a dealer to install the ProVoice, NXDN, or DMR upgrades even if you decide you want them now. You can install them yourself, at any time after you receive your scanner, for much less cost than some dealers charge. The process is very simple to do yourself, and only takes a few minutes. You can purchase all at once, or one at a time depending on what you want.

As of now, installing the upgrades yourself directly from Uniden costs:

DMR = $60
NXDN = $50
ProVoice = $49.99

Compare that to what your dealer is charging for those.

Last edited:

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
If nothing else, I would do the DMR upgrades. You have several public works departments near you using DMR, along with utilities, some campus PDs, and a number of other users. There isn't a ton of NXDN in Mass, and MBTA is the only Pro Voice users around here.

THANK YOU everybody for the great information! After exploring the upgrade choices I will be getting the DMR software vs the other 2. I just picked up a BC20 ext speaker pretty cheap also (sale). Have it for the backyard evenings.

Thank you for the Sentinal link, I did not see SDS200 on the list when I looked so thought I needed Serial number first (I‘m assuming 536HP uses the same)?

I had them program Plymouth and Norfolk counties so it’s ready out of the box. When I connect it to Sentinal / Proscan that should not affect those settings? Today I plan on creating some favorite list for MA local and up in NH (Lincoln).

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the Sentinal link, I did not see SDS200 on the list when I looked so thought I needed Serial number first (I‘m assuming 536HP uses the same)?

Yes, that version of Sentinel covers the BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100, and the SDS200.... You will see those models listed on Sentinel's splash screen on your computer when you open it. When you have Sentinel running, click "Tools" from the top menu bar, click "Target Model", and choose the SDS200.

KEWB-N1EXA

THANK YOU everybody for the great information! After exploring the upgrade choices I will be getting the DMR software vs the other 2. I just picked up a BC20 ext speaker pretty cheap also (sale). Have it for the backyard evenings.

I had them program Plymouth and Norfolk counties so it’s ready out of the box. When I connect it to Sentinal / Proscan that should not affect those settings? Today I plan on creating some favorite list for MA local and up in NH (Lincoln).

So I guess the next question is what will be your Antenna and Coax ? The telescoping 25 inch rod out of the box will be pretty dissapointing .

Peter N1EXA

I'll give the factory antenna a shot, but will most likely upgrade to the SP800 by Fall when weather is bad / poor reception (seems to be the one everybody recommends).

I set up Sentinal and created a few favorite folders with no issue. Will explore more this afternoon but so far-so-good. Proscan seems a bit more tricky. Do I need to have the scanner plugged in to use Proscan? Was not able to set up favorites in PS, maybe it downloads from Sentinal first? There is an option to import from Sentinal and RR website but says I need favorite first. Ill try and find some PS helpful videos. Thank you.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
So I guess the next question is what will be your Antenna and Coax ? The telescoping 25 inch rod out of the box will be pretty dissapointing .
Allow me to hijack for a second. And this is sad, because the old manufacturer of their "Telescoping rod" antenna made an excellent product. (The one with the flat top). When it changed to the one currently included (with the rounded top), the quality of it flat-lined. The reception of the other version was 10x better. I have a few I've kept from older scanners because of that.

KEWB-N1EXA

Allow me to hijack for a second. And this is sad, because the old manufacturer of their "Telescoping rod" antenna made an excellent product. (The one with the flat top). When it changed to the one currently included (with the rounded top), the quality of it flat-lined. The reception of the other version was 10x better. I have a few I've kept from older scanners because of that.
I found the New an improved Fondue Fork works the best for Simulcast !

Status
Not open for further replies.